The Department of Computer and Data Sciences within the School of Engineering and Computational Sciences at Merrimack College seeks applicants for the position of Adjunct Instructor for the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters. Instructors are needed for these online, lecture-based, Data Science graduate courses:
- DSE5000 Baseline Mathematics, Statistics and Coding Skills
- DSE5001 Intro to Data Science and Statistics
- DSE5004 Visual Data Exploration
- DSE6003 Data Governance and Privacy
- DSE6111 Predictive Modeling
- DSE6212 Text and Image Mining
- DSE6311 Data Science Capstone
- Other courses within Computer and Data Sciences
Adjunct faculty are expected to teach 2 or 4 contact hours per week (depending on class and level) and hold regular office hours (online). Course offerings provide some flexibility, and the department will work with faculty to ensure as smooth of an experience as possible.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Data Science, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Industry experience is a bonus, but not required.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Preference for candidates who also have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Teaching statement explaining the candidate’s teaching philosophy and interest.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Remote Work
This is a remote position supporting an online graduate program. Faculty in this program are expected to support students and the community through online, virtual sessions. The ability to be present on campus occasionally can be helpful, but is not required.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and some 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College comprises five schools: liberal arts, science and engineering, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy, and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 34th out of 175 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2022. Merrimack also ranked 3rd in the Most Innovative Schools category. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.