Merrimack College has an immediate need for a Reading, Writing, & Coaching Specialist for the Compass Program. The Reading, Writing, & Coaching Specialist plays a critical role in working with students both inside and outside the classroom. This is a full-time, full-year position.
In this role, the Reading, Writing, & Coaching Specialist works one-on-one or in small groups during Compass class meetings to guide, assist, and support students in the areas of reading and writing. In addition, this person will work with students outside of class to foster continued progress in the students’ reading and writing skills and also will meet with students to provide overall academic support (e.g., time management, organizational skills, study skills, etc.). This position will work with faculty, staff, grad fellows, the Compass Program Director and Compass team, the larger Academic Success Center staff, and the Dean of Student Success. This position reports to the Compass Program Director.
Compass is an academic support program in which first year students participate in small cohort courses designed to facilitate their transition to college and prepare them for long-term success and graduation. Compass students spend their first year immersed in an intensive curriculum of both core and developmental courses while receiving weekly, one-on-one, sessions with a dedicated Academic Success Coach. The Advanced Reading-Writing Specialist works with several Compass cohorts. Each Compass cohort consists of a Compass Professor, Academic Success Coach, and Grad Fellow to support a specific cohort of Compass students.
- Assists the Compass Professor in the classroom, providing one-on-one and small group reading and writing instruction
- Works with an assigned caseload of Compass freshmen to strengthen reading comprehension, annotation, and academic writing skills
- Assists in providing weekly guided study hours for all Compass students throughout the academic year, which may include focusing on specific assignments and projects
- Assists one-on-one and in groups with coursework, time management skills, organizational skills, task-completion, and other academic support as needed
- Actively involved in monitoring academic progress of each student and able to share insights with Compass/Student Success team to determine steps to best support students’ continued progress and success
- Collaborates with Compass professor and Academic Coach working with freshmen cohorts to provide real-time, wrap-around student support and assistance
- Collaborates with and navigates campus services and personnel relevant to the academic and holistic success of students
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
- Master’s degree in English, Psychology, Education, Counseling, or other academic field preferred
- Three or more years of experience providing academic support to college students with a focus on reading and writing instruction
- Strong communication skills
- Experience providing mentorship and/or direct feedback to college students
- Knowledge and/or experience providing motivation and support to students
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Work Location
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College has five schools: arts and sciences, engineering and computational sciences, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, ranking 33rd in the Regional Universities North category in 2024. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.