Merrimack College seeks an enthusiastic, results-oriented individual to join the Office of Undergraduate Admission as a Senior Admission Counselor/Assistant Director of Admission. Reporting to the Associate Director of Admission, this individual will be a part of a dynamic, highly-motivated team responsible for recruiting and enrolling first- time undergraduate students. Serving as an advisor to prospective students, their families, secondary school counselors and other constituents, the Senior Admission Counselor/Assistant Director will effectively communicate Merrimack’s value proposition.
The Senior Admission Counselor/Assistant Director will be responsible for developing a budget and implementing a recruitment plan for an assigned recruitment territory. Their assigned territory will be targeted markets within the U.S. As a result, the expectation will be that this person has the willingness and ability to travel independently and as part of small groups for extended periods of time. A successful candidate will be comfortable using data and market research to make informed decisions, while also exhibiting the ability to think creatively and outside of the box. As a member of the admission team, the Senior Admission Counselor/Assistant Director of Admission is expected to actively participate in the myriad of on and off-campus activities designed to recruit, admit, and enroll an entering class that meets institutional goals.
A successful candidate for this position will demonstrate exceptional communication, interpersonal, and multicultural skills. They will have the ability to establish and develop and foster long-term professional relationships within their territory. In addition, this person must have the ability to work well independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, target driven environment. Valid driver’s license, the willingness and ability to travel extended periods, and work extended hours including evenings and weekends is required.
The Senior Admission Counselor/Assistant Director of Admission will also provide leadership and oversight in other specialized roles and projects as determined by the Associate Director after evaluating the professional strengths, experiences, and interests of the candidate selected for the position, in addition to the needs of the office. Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
- Develop and execute recruitment plan and budget for assigned geographic territory to aid in territory-based enrollment goals. This territory can include primary, secondary and tertiary markets.
- Represent Merrimack College to prospective students and their families by attending off campus recruitment events; which include college fairs/nights, individual visits to high schools, off-campus interviews, workshops, and more.
- Provide exceptional customer service, by establishing channels of communication with prospective students to introduce them to and inform them of Merrimack College; facilitate their relationship with the institution throughout the admissions process starting at the inquiry stage through their enrollment at the college.
- Counsel and advise prospective students, their families, secondary school counselors and other community members about the admissions process and effectively communicate Merrimack’s value proposition.
- Assist students in the enrollment funnel through encouragement, answering questions, and providing other advice.
- Read and evaluate applications for admission and participate in the admission committee that makes admission decisions.
- Develop and maintain a network of school and education counselor contacts. Maintain relationships throughout the year; keeping these contacts apprised of current news about the Merrimack community.
- Manage and oversee special project(s) as assigned by supervisor.
- Share responsibility for meeting institutional enrollment goals.
- Participate in all signature admission events including Academic Preview Day, Open House and Admitted Student Day, as well as Welcome Center counselor coverage.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the Division of Enrollment Management and Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Masters preferred.
- 2-4 years of higher education experience, preferably in the area of college admission.
- Proficiency in a foreign language is preferred. Preferred languages for Merrimack’s target international markets include, but are not limited to, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Arabic or Spanish.
- Strong multi-tasking, organization and time management skills.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes extensively, with overnights to be expected
- Willingness to work extended hours and travel independently for extended periods of time with overnight throughout the year.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to and experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Cross-cultural competence and ability to communicate effectively with students and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a data-oriented and analytical environment that has a high level of individual and team accountability.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Work Location
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College has five schools: arts and sciences, engineering and computational sciences, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, ranking 33rd in the Regional Universities North category in 2024. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.