The Enrollment Management’s Office of Admission at Merrimack College is looking for a highly motivated Senior Admission Counselor. Reporting to the Director of Admission for Transfer Students, the Senior Admission Counselor will be an integral part of the team and responsible for recruiting and enrolling new undergraduate Transfer students for both On-campus enrollment and the Bachelor Degree Completion (BDC) online programs. This person will play a key role in developing and implementing a recruitment plan for prospective transfer students as well as a key role in the transfer credit review and maintenance process for incoming transfer students in the undergraduate day program. As a member of the Admission team, the Senior Admission Counselor is expected to actively participate in the myriad of on and off-campus activities designed to recruit, admit, and enroll an entering class that meets institutional goals.
A successful candidate for this position will demonstrate exceptional communication, interpersonal, and multicultural skills. They will have the ability to establish and develop and foster long-term professional relationships within their territory. In addition, this person must have the ability to work well independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, target driven environment. Valid driver’s license, the willingness and ability to travel extended periods, and work extended hours including evenings and weekends is required.
The Senior Admission Counselor will also provide leadership and oversight in other specialized roles and projects as determined by the Director of Admission for Transfer Students after evaluating the professional strengths, experiences, and interests of the candidate selected for the position, in addition to the needs of the office.
- Provide exceptional customer service, by establishing channels of communication with prospective transfer students to introduce them to and inform them of Merrimack College; facilitate their relationship with the institution throughout the admissions process starting at the inquiry stage through their enrollment at the college.
- Represent Merrimack College by attending transfer fairs, individual visits to community colleges, group information sessions & workshops for students, parents and transfer advisors.
- Counsel and advise prospective students, their families, transfer advisors and other community members about the transfer and BDC admission process, transfer credit options, course selection at non-Merrimack institutions and effectively communicate Merrimack’s value proposition. Well versed in pathways from undergraduate to graduate programs.
- Plan and implement recruitment travel to assigned community colleges, transfer, and graduate recruitment opportunities.
- Assist students in the application process through encouragement, answering questions, and providing other advice.
- Read and evaluate transfer and BDC student applications for admission for all applicable terms and semesters and participate in the admission committee that makes admission decisions.
- Develop and maintain a network of transfer advisor contacts. Continue to maintain relationships throughout the year; keeping these contacts apprised of current news about the Merrimack community.
- Assist in the maintenance and quality control of student records, transfer policies and transfer credit records.
- Participate in all Transfer admission and Signature admission events including Transfer Tuesday and Pre-Registration Advising, Academic Preview Days, Open Houses and Admitted Student Days, as well as Welcome Center counselor coverage.
- Share responsibility for meeting institutional enrollment goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 1-3 years of higher education experience, preferably in admission or visitor services.
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service to internal and external customers.
- Organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities at all times.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively document policies and procedures.
- Flexibility and willingness to occasionally work outside of normal business hours and extended days with the ability to juggle competing priorities effectively.
- Commitment to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion especially as relevant to enrollment management research and analytics.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Work Location
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College has five schools: arts and sciences, engineering and computational sciences, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, ranking 33rd in the Regional Universities North category in 2024. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.