The Department of Accounting and Finance in the Girard School of Business is searching for an Assistant Professor in Accounting to join their team starting in Academic Year 2023-24. Qualified candidates should demonstrate experience and proficiency in conducting impactful accounting research, have evidence of excellence in teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and the capacity to serve as faculty advisor to undergraduate and graduate accounting students.
The Department of Accounting and Finance in the Girard School of Business at Merrimack College invites applications for one Tenure-Track faculty appointment at the level of Assistant Professor in Accounting beginning in Academic Year 2023-24. Qualified candidates should demonstrate experience in: conducting high quality accounting research; excellence in teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels; serving as faculty advisor to undergraduate and graduate accounting students.
Merrimack College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across a broad range of social and personal identities and perspectives. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.
- The teaching load is normally three courses per semester that will include a combination of undergraduate- and graduate-level courses that includes in-person, hybrid and online modalities. The candidate may also assist with academic advising and select service to the department, school, and college.
- Specific courses will depend on the candidate’s previous experience, expertise, and the school’s needs. Based on our current requirements, the ideal candidate would have experience in teaching one or more of the following:
- Undergraduate courses: Accounting for Business, Accounting Information System, Accounting Analytics, Taxes, Auditing, Accounting co-op coordination, Intermediate Accounting
- Graduate courses: Financial and Managerial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Accounting Information Systems, Assurance Services, Accounting Analytics.
- In addition to the courses listed above, the candidate shall develop curriculum at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, serve as faculty advisor to the Accounting Club, coordinate undergraduate Accounting Co-op, have knowledge of evolving CPA exam requirements, and affiliations with MSCPA and AICPA.
Interested applicants should have relevant teaching and work experience, and hold a Ph.D. or a DBA in Accounting from an AACSB accredited institution by the start of the appointment. In Particular, we are interested in candidates who have a strong commitment to teaching excellence, creative activity and scholarship, student advisement, university, and community service. Candidates with relevant professional certification and work experience are preferred. All areas of expertise in accounting will be considered. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to conduct high quality accounting research, and excellence in teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Strong verbal/written communication skills are essential. Additionally, the ability to foster an environment that values diversity, equity and inclusion is expected of all Merrimack community members.
About the Girard School of Business
The Girard School of Business takes a unique approach to business education including a strong foundation in the liberal arts and Augustinian values. Our faculty are committed to providing students with a strong foundation of business knowledge and skills in an environment having a high degree of student-faculty interaction. It has approximately 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students and offers a BSBA degree with ten concentrations, MS degrees in Management and Accounting, as well as an online MS degree in Business Analytics.
Review of applications will begin immediately, with full consideration granted to those applications received by October 19, 2022. Subsequent review will continue on a rolling basis until qualified/suitable candidates are identified.
Application materials should include the following:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Teaching Statement
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check
Required Vaccinations and Remote Work
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and some 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College comprises five schools: liberal arts, science and engineering, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy, and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 34th out of 175 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2022. Merrimack also ranked 3rd in the Most Innovative Schools category. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.