The Warrior One Stop Student Services Specialist, with a focus in Student Employment, will play an integral role in assisting and educating students, parents, faculty and staff to navigate administrative processes related to financial aid, student billing, health / tuition insurance programs, payment plans, as well as registration/ enrollment related tasks, student employment and parking & transportation services. They will provide convenient and thorough support and care through a variety of service channels including walk-in, phone, email, chat and virtual meetings. They will be available to teach students how to access and use technology for self-service and will provide basic advising and information on college programs, requirements, academic policies and procedures. They will work with students, parents, faculty, and staff to solve problems related to systems, policies or procedures, and assist with institutional logistics that overlap a variety of administrative areas, are dynamic and interconnected.
A successful candidate will work independently and serve as the primary point of contact for all student employment activities. The Warrior One Stop Student Services Specialist: Student Employment will also be cross trained within the services of the Warrior One Stop to expand their ability to support our student population in a variety of services.
This position supports cooperative cross-functional, cross-campus communications, and dialogue by maintaining a close working relationship with all campus offices. This position will include some evening and weekend hours. (remote or in person)
- Provide service to students, parents, faculty & staff to Merrimack College administrative policies and procedures and to assist them in accessing the information and related services using student systems and technology.
- Assist and direct students to the features and services available to them via student information system including but not limited to: health insurance waiver, information updates and changes, enrollment verifications, transcript requests, financial aid information, academic calendar, payment plans, account summary, grade information, course registration, Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and/or Master Promissory Note, parking policies and decal eligibility
- Make appropriate referrals to students, parents, faculty and staff to college services in advising, career counseling, internship, student life, academic support, student ID’s, and housing, which support student connections to the campus.
- Act as initial point of contact for all student employment questions, concerns, and requests that aid in the recruitment and retention of student employees. Resolve all open issues and triage and escalate as necessary.
- Provide general information on billing and student financial options of eligibility and application requirements, gift aid and loan programs
- Work in collaboration with colleagues that manage Federal Financial Aid Work Study funding
- Coordinate student hiring paperwork, intake process in coordination with financial aid and payroll services
- Propose systems and processes to improve overall student employment procedures and processes; develop tools, resources, guidance documents, standard operating procedures.
- Solve problems related to systems, policies or procedures that overlap a variety of administrative areas, are dynamic and interconnected.
- Other duties as required or needed for the Warrior One Stop to be successful
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, discretion and resourcefulness in order to interact effectively with students, family members, and the general public as well as with representatives from other departments or institutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively and professionally interact with diverse groups using tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to communicate patiently and courteously with difficult situations.
- Skill in listening, anticipating, and responding to the needs of customers.
- Ability to establish and develop long-term relationships across campus with students, faculty and administrative staff.
- Ability to research, apply and explain a variety of rules, policies and procedures.
- Strong organizational and project management skills to coordinate and prioritize multiple complex duties, paying attention to detail and deadlines when faced with high volume, fluctuating workload and constantly changing priorities.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends as needed
Bachelor’s degree required with 1-3 years professional experience in a busy service-oriented office and/or related customer service experience.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Remote Work
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and some 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College comprises five schools: liberal arts, science and engineering, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy, and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 34th out of 175 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2022. Merrimack also ranked 3rd in the Most Innovative Schools category. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.