March 5: Coronavirus Update
As the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve, the Task Force has been meeting regularly to follow developments of the virus as well as to advise the President on actions needed to be taken in order to continue prevention efforts.
As part of this, below are updated actions being taken by the college:
- In light of events in California, the SEND trip to San Diego will be canceled. Each participant scheduled to participate in this trip will be receiving emails directly as to how to continue course of study to earn credits as well as reimbursement information. Trips to Houston, TX, Asheville, NC and Pine Ridge, ND remain unchanged. The college will support any student or staff who does not wish to participate in a SEND trip and will work with them to avoid financial penalty. Students traveling are reminded to continue following the guidelines outlined by the CDC, as well as to continue checking updates at merrimack.edu/coronavirus.
- Additionally, the college will be canceling the baseball trip to Seattle, Washington. Coaches will be following up with students directly about next steps.
- Italy remains the only study abroad program that has been canceled. Students studying abroad in other locations are being closely monitored by the Task Force should the spread of the virus impact their locations. Students studying abroad are encouraged to carefully heed the CDC and U.S. State Department travel warnings when traveling to other locations over weekends or breaks. The college continues to support any student studying abroad who has a concern for their safety or would like to finish their semester back in the U.S.
- We thank all students, faculty and staff who have updated the Task Force regarding their personal travel, as it relates to both domestic and international travel. We have been in contact with many of you and will continue to do so. Please continue to email the Task Force so that we may assist with specific resources or guidance should it be necessary. For those that are traveling in or to a high-risk environment or location during spring break: the college urges you to practice self-isolation for 14 days at your residence, away from campus, as recommended by federal and health agencies. Please see this resource for definitions. If you are unsure if you are traveling to or in a high-risk environment, please email the Task Force.
- Students, if your travel circumstances have changed next week due to the updates above and you require additional college support, please email the Task Force.
- The college reminds all faculty and staff planning to partake in college-sponsored international travel in March and April to submit travel plans. Please submit all travel plans to the Task Force. The Task Force will defer to the appropriate federal agencies that monitor health situations like these to ensure that travel is safe. The Task Force will extend this time period review should it be warranted.
- Finally, please continue to monitor merrimack.edu/coronavirus for all Coronavirus updates as they relate to the college. Please refer to this website for instant updates and communication as it relates to the COVID-19 virus.
We will continue to monitor new developments as they relate to the COVID-19 and will update the community accordingly. Should you have any questions in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to contact the Task Force at email@example.com.