- Assistant Professor, Health Sciences
- Obesity epidemiology and prevention
- Nutrition policy
- Public Health
- Social determinants of health
- Community-based intervention & evaluation methods
My research is broadly focused on policy, systems and environmental strategies to prevent obesity and improve diet quality among families and vulnerable populations. I draw from my experience implementing community-based obesity prevention interventions to inform my research. My current work uses mixed methods to answer policy-relevant research questions related to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps). I was previously a Public Health Prevention Service Fellow at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and also worked for several years as a project director at the Boston Public Health Commission.
- Sc.D. Nutrition Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Sc.D. Social & Behavioral Sciences (dual degree) Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- MPH Social & Behavioral Sciences Yale School of Public Health
- BA Biology (cum laude) Middlebury College
- Nutrition policy
- Childhood obesity
- Social determinants of health
- Sugar-sweetened beverages
- Supermarket-based interventions and analysis of sales data
- Community-based obesity prevention interventions
- (HSC 5350G) Research Methods
- (HSC 5320G) Foundations of Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Franckle RL, Levy ED, Macias-Navarro L, Rimm EB, Thorndike AN. Traffic-light labels and financial incentives to reduce sugar-sweetened beverage purchases by low-income Latino families: a randomized controlled trial. Public Health Nutr. 2018 Mar [Epub ahead of print].
Polacsek M, Moran A, Thorndike AN, Boulos R, Franckle RL, Green JC, Blue DJ, Block J, Rimm EB. A supermarket double-dollar incentive program increases purchases of fresh fruits and vegetables among families with children: the Healthy Double Study. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017 Nov [Epub ahead of print].
Franckle RL, Moran A, Hou T, Blue D, Greene J, Thorndike A, Polacsek M, Rimm EB. Transactions at a Northeastern supermarket chain: Differences by Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program use. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Oct;53(4):e131-e138.
Franckle, RL, Falbe, J, Gortmaker, S, Barrett, JL, Giles, C, Ganter, C, Blaine, RE, Buszkiewicz, J, Taveras, EM, Kwass, J-A, Land, T and Davison, KK. (2017). Student obesity prevalence and behavioral outcomes for the Massachusetts Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration Project. Obesity. 2017 Jul;25(7):1175-1182.
Blaine RE*, Franckle RL*, Ganter C, Falbe J, Giles C, Criss S, Kwass J, Land T, Gortmaker S, Chuang E, Davison KK, MA-CORD study group. Using School Staff Members to Implement a Childhood Obesity Prevention Intervention in Low-Income School Districts: the Massachusetts Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration (MA-CORD Project), 2012–2014. Prev Chronic Dis. 2017 Jan 12;14:E03. *shared first authorship
Franckle RL, Block JP, Roberto CA. Calorie Underestimation When Buying High-Calorie Beverages in Fast Food Contexts. Am J Public Health. 2016 Jul;106(7):1254-5.
Franckle RL, Falbe J, Gortmaker S, Ganter C, Taveras EM, Land T, Davison KK. Insufficient sleep among elementary and middle school students is linked with soda consumption and other unhealthy dietary behaviors. Prev Med. 2015 May; 74:36-41.
Davison KK, Falbe J, Taveras EM, Gortmaker SD, Kulldorff M, Perkins M, Blaine RE, Franckle RL, Ganter C, Woo Baidal J, Kwass J, Buszkiewicz J, Smith L, Land T, MA-CORD Study Group. Evaluation overview for the Massachusetts Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration (CORD) project. Childhood Obesity. 2015 Feb; 11(1):23-36.
Falbe J, Davison K, Franckle RL, Ganter C, Gortmaker SL, Smith L, Land T, Taveras EM. Sleep duration, restfulness, and screens in the sleep environment. Pediatrics. 2015 Feb; 135(2):e367-75.
Franckle R, Adler R, Davison K. Accelerated weight gain among children during summer versus school year and related racial/ethnic disparities: A systematic review. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014 Jun 12; 11: E101.
Lampard AM, Franckle RL, Davison KK. Maternal depression and childhood obesity: a systematic review. Prev Med. 2014 Feb; 59:60-7.
- Early Career Researcher Award for Best Oral Presentation, Annual Meeting of the International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA), 2017
- Manuscript selected as an Editors’ Choice article for the July 2017 issue of Obesity
- Derek Bok Center Certificate of Distinction in Teaching Award, Harvard University, 2017
- Postdoctoral Association Spring Travel Award, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2017
- Program in Obesity Epidemiology and Prevention, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2012-2016
- The Obesity Society (TOS) Diversity Section Special Recognition, 2014
- Simon J. and Arpi A. Simonian Research Excellence in Nutrition Prize, Harvard School of Public Health Department of Nutrition, 2013
- Public Health Prevention Service Fellow, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, 2006-2009