- Associate Professor, Health Sciences
- Physical activity and health behavior promotion
- Public Health
- Exercise psychology and body image
- Sociocultural aspect of physical activity
My research work is very interdisciplinary involving psychology, public health, and exercise science. My recent work focuses on understanding how sociocultural and environmental factors affect exercise and other health behaviors of different population groups, including women, older, and people with disabilities.
- Ph.D. Exercise Psychology Oregon State University
- M.P.H. Health Behavior and Promotion Oregon State University
- M.Ed. Kinesiology Bowling Green State University
- B.S. Psychology Beijing Normal University
- Health Behavior and Promotion
- Physical Activity Promotion
- Sociocultural Aspects of Exercise Behavior
- Yan, Z. (2020). Acculturation and Well-being among International Students: Challenges and Opportunities. In Uttam, Shyam, & Krishna (Eds). Rethinking Education Across Borders (pp303-315). Springer, New York. ISBN: 978-981-15-2398-4
- Simons, O, Yin, Mccullagh, Yan, & Yan. Sport and Exercise Psychology. In T. Gilmour Reeve, Lanie A. Dornier, Yu, T., Yan, Z., & Liang, G (Eds.) Introduction to Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Recreation. (pp158-185). Beijing: China Higher Education Press, ISBN:978-7-5041-9156-4.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles – In Press or Published
- Xiao, S., Yan, Z,* Zhao, L. (Accepted). Physical activity, mood disturbance, and conflicts with parents during COVID-19 among Chinese adolescents. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. (*corresponding author)
- Yan, Z., Zhang, G., Cardinal, B., & Xu, T. (2020). Body-related comments experienced by Chinese young women: A cross-sectional study. Nursing and Health Sciences, 22, 300-308. doi: 10.1111/nhs.12697
- Yan, Z., Finn, K., & Breton, K. (2020). Does it promote physical activity? College students’ perceptions on Pokémon Go. The Montenegrin Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 9(1), 5-10.
- Yan, Z, Li, Y., Zheng, Z., & Lu., R. (2020). Exploring the risk factors for depressive symptoms among Chinese rural elders (Featured article). Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 58(2), 41-47. doi: 10.3928/02793695-20191030-01
- Yan, Z., & Harrington, A. (2020). Exploring factors that predict weight gain in college freshmen. Health Education Journal,79(1), 94-103.
- Zhang, G., Chen, X., Xiao, L., Li, Y., Lin B., Yan, Z., Guo, L., & Rost, D. (2019). The relationship between Big Five and self-control in boxers: A mediating model. Frontier Psychology, 10, 1690. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01690
- Yan, Z., & Cardinal, B. (2019). Association of Asian/Asian-American immigrants’ physical activity behavior and length of residence in the U.S. Journal of Behavioral Health, 8 (2),66-70. doi: 10.5455/jbh.20190301063103
- Cannon, A., Finn, K., & Yan, Z. (2018). Comparison of hip internal and external rotation between intercollegiate distance runners and non-running college students. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 13(6), 956-962.
- Finn, K., Yan, Z., & McInnis, K. (2018). Promoting physical activity and science learning in an outdoor education program. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, 89(1), 35-39.
- Finn, K., FitzPatrick K., & Yan, Z. (2017). Integrating lecture and laboratory in health sciences courses improves student satisfaction and performance. Journal of College Science Teaching, 47(1), 66-75.
- Yan, Z., Althobaiti, H., & FitzPatrick, K. (2017). Smoking behavior in Saudi Arabian male college students in the U.S.: A qualitative approach. Journal of Behavioral Health, 6(2), 83-88.
- Finn, K., Yan, Z., Martin., E., & McInnis, K. (2017). Active science pilot study: A multi-site, controlled trial to promote physical activity and science learning among children. Journal of Behavioral Health, 6(1), 47-51.
- Yan, Z., & FitzPatrick, K. (2016). Acculturation and health behaviors among international students: A qualitative approach. Nursing and Health Sciences,18(1), 58-63. doi:10.1111/nhs.12232
- Yan, Z., & FitzPatrick, K. (2016). Peer education: Promoting cultural competence, health behaviors, and professional practice in an undergraduate health promotion course. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 87(2), 27-32.
- Yan, Z., & Sendall, P. (2016). First year experience: How we can better assist first-year international students in higher education. Journal of International Students, 6(1), 35-51.
- Benes, S., Finn, K., Sullivan, E. C., & Yan, Z. (2016). Teachers’ perceptions of utilizing movement in the classroom. The Physical Educator, 73, 110-135.
- Bavarian, N., Lewis, K. M., Acock, A., DuBois, D. L., Yan, Z., Vuchinich, S., Silverthorn, & N., Day, J. (2016). Effects of a school-based social–emotional and character development program on health behaviors: A matched-pair, cluster-randomized controlled trial. Journal of Primary Prevention, 1, 1-19. doi: 10.1007/s10935-016-0417-8
- Yan, Z., Finn, K., & Corcoran, M. (2015). Using peer education to promote balance, fitness, and physical activity among individuals with intellectual disabilities. American Journal of Health Studies, 30(4), 180-186.
- Finn, K., Yan, Z., & McInnis, K. (2015). Active Science™: Integrating physical activity and science learning into the afterschool environment. American Journal of Health Education, 46, 323-328.
- Yan, Z., Berger, B. G., Tobar, D. A., & Cardinal, B. J. (2015). Comparison of American and Chinese college students’ reasons for exercise, exercise enjoyment and self-efficacy. International Journal of Applied Sports Sciences, 27, 43-50.
- Yan, Z., Cardinal, B. J., & Acock, A. C. (2015). Understanding Chinese international college and university students’ physical activity behavior. Journal of Sport and Health Science, 4, 203-210. doi: 10.1016/j.jshs.2013.07.002. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254613000707#
- SHAPE America Research Fellow, SHAPE America, 2017.