Lisa Glebatis Perks
Associate Professor of Communication
Communication Arts & Sciences
Dr. Perks earned her Ph.D. in communication studies from the University of Texas at Austin and her M.A. in communication arts and sciences from Pennsylvania State University. Her B.A. in communication and sociology is from Wake Forest University. Her teaching and scholarship revolve around culture, power, and media. Dr. Perks comes to Merrimack College from Nazareth College, where she was the communication and media program director and an assistant professor.
- Public Speaking
- Humor and Media
- Media Marathoning
- Media Ethics
Her research analyzes media representations of marginalized groups and audience reception processes.
She recently published the book Media Marathoning: Immersions in Morality. Her current research projects, which were inspired by the marathoning project, analyze television spoilers from an audience perspective and television critic’s perspective.
Dr. Perks’s publications include:
- Perks, L. G. (2015). Media marathoning: Immersions in morality. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Perks, L. G. & Johnson, K. A. (2014). Electile dysfunction: The burlesque binds of the Sarah Palin MILF frame. Feminist Media Studies 14(5), 775-790.
- Perks, L. G. & Gatchet, A. D. (2013). Equipment for living in an ordered home: Disciplinary homologies in Supernanny and Dog Whisperer. The Journal of Popular Culture 46(4), 811-830.
- Perks, L. G. (2012). Sox and stripes: Baseball’s ironic American dreams. Communication Quarterly 60(4), 445-464. doi: 10.1080/01463373.2012.704571. Lead article.
- Perks, L. G. (2012). Three satiric television decoding positions. Communication Studies 63(3), 290-308. doi: 10.1080/10510974.2012.678925
- Perks, L. G. (2012). The ancient roots of humor theory. HUMOR: The International Journal of Humor Research 25(2), 119-132. Lead article.
- Perks, L. G. (2010). Polysemic scaffolding: Explicating discursive clashes in Chappelle’s Show. Communication, Culture, and Critique 3(2), 270-289. doi: 10.1111/j.1753- 9137.2010.01070.x