Karen Fotino, DNP, RN
- Associate Clinical Professor, Nursing
I am a clinical expert, with national certifications in both medical-surgical and gerontology nursing. I hold an Advance Practice Registered Nurse license as a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS). The CNS is an expert in clinical practice, education, research, and consultation to improve outcomes in patient care. I am a board member for local and national organizations, supporting both professional nursing practice and geriatric care. I have published works on implementing evidence-based practices in the hospital setting in addition to presenting at national conferences. In addition to clinical expertise, I have over 20 years of teaching both academically and professionally.
- Doctorate of Nursing Practice University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- Graduate Certificate Clinical Nurse Specialist University of Massachusetts, Boston
- Master of Science in Nursing Nursing Education Salem State University
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Salem State University
Licenses and Certifications
- Massachusetts licenses: Registered Nurse (RN) and Clinical Nurse Specialist (APRN)
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (AGCNS-BC): American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Gerontology Nursing (GERO-RN): American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN): Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses
Fotino K. A Quality Improvement Project for Monitoring Surgical Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Clin Nurse Spec. 2021 May-Jun 01;35(3):147-155. doi: 10.1097/NUR.0000000000000589. PMID: 33793177.
Utilizing the influencer model to improve alarm management practices. (Feb, 2017). Horizons (AAMI), 66-70. DOI: 10.2345/0899-8205-51.s2.66
A Magnet community hospital: fewer barriers to nursing research utilization. (2006). Journal of Nursing Administration, 36(7-8), 377-382. DOI: 10.1097/00005110-200607000-00011