Anthony L. Fernandez, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Chemistry, Boston University,
B.S., Chemistry, Boston University
- General Chemistry I & II (CHM1110 & CHM1120)
- Inorganic Chemistry (CHM2320)
- Integrated Lab I (CHM2500)
- Theoretical Inorganic Chemistry (CHM4310)
- Applied Inorganic Chemistry (CHM4320)
My research interests are in organometallic chemistry, and current projects involve:
- Investigating C-N oxidative addition reactions in pincer complexes of Rh which occur both in solution and in the solid state.
- Probing the interactions of transition metals with phosphorus(III) ligands and using correlation analysis of physiochemical data to quantify the effects that such ligands exhibit on attached transition metal centers.
- Studying the activation of organometallic molecules occluded in the pores of zeolites.
In this work, my students and I use many different experimental and instrumental techniques including:
- inert atmosphere synthetic techniques
- multinuclear NMR spectroscopy (1 H, 13 C, 19 F, and 31 P)
- infrared spectroscopy
- ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy
- kinetic analysis
- x-ray diffraction (in collaboration with B. Foxman)
- cyclic and square-wave voltammetry
I have on-going collaborations with Professors Bruce Foxman (Brandeis University), Oleg Ozerov (Texas A&M University), and Anthony J. Poë (Emeritus, University of Toronto).
- A.L. Fernandez, J. Hao, R.L. Parkes, A.J. Poë and E.J.S. Vichi, “Zeolite Activation of Organometallics: Revisiting Substitution Kinetics of [Mo(CO)6] with Chemisorbed PMe3 in Dehydrated Na56 Y Zeolite”, Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society 2008, 19, 862.
- A.L. Fernandez, J. Hao, R.L. Parkes, A.J. Poë and E.J.S. Vichi, “Zeolite Activation of Organometallics: Anchoring and Decarbonylation Kinetics of [Mo(CO)6] in Dehydrated Na56 Y Zeolite”, Organometallics 2004,23, 2715.
- W.P. Giering, A. Prock, and A.L. Fernandez, “Comments on the Electrostatic Minimum Potential (Vmin) as a Measure of the Electron Donating Power of PZ3”, Inorganic Chemistry 2003, 42, 8033.
- K.A. Bunten, L. Chen, A.L. Fernandez, and A.J. Poë, “Cone Angles: Tolman’s and Plato’s”, Coordination Chemistry Reviews 2002, 233-234, 41.
- M.R. Wilson, A. Prock, W.P. Giering, A.L. Fernandez, C.W. Haar, S.P. Nolan, “π-Effects Involving Rh-PZ3 Compounds. The Quantitative Analysis of Ligand Effects (QALE)” Organometallics 2002, 21, 2758.
- A.L. Fernandez, M.R. Wilson, A. Prock, and W.P. Giering, “Evaluation of the Stereoelectronic Parameters of Fluorinated Phosphorus(III) Ligands. The Quantitative Analysis of Ligand Effects (QALE)” Organometallics2001, 20, 3429.