Getting Help

Any person involved in an incident of sexual misconduct can receive information about their options, resources, medical attention and/or personal support from any of the following professionally trained personnel on campus:

  • The Merrimack College Police Department sexual assault investigators - 978-837-5911

  • Hamel Health Center - 978-837-5441

  • The Counseling Center - 978-837-5444

  • Residence Life staff (resident directors, area coordinators)

  • Campus ministers

  • Dean of Students

  • Assistant Dean of Students for Wellness/ Director of Community Standards

  • Assistant Director of Community Standards

See “A Guide for Survivors” 

Reporting to Merrimack Police

If a sexual assault occurs on campus, it can be reported to the Merrimack College Police Department. When the campus Police Department is contacted, an officer will assist the survivor in obtaining medical care and counseling, and will conduct a preliminary investigation and gather physical evidence. Any investigation will be conducted by an officer trained in sexual assault investigation and certified by the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council, who will discuss the results of the investigation with the survivor and explain to the survivor his or her rights and options. The survivor’s identity is only disclosed to those people necessary to conduct an investigation, unless required by law (for example, the college is obligated to report the sexual abuse of a minor). Above all, the survivor is treated with respect and consideration.

Nonconfidential Reporting

Survivors are encouraged to speak to college officials who can help them make formal reports and generate investigations of incidents, including the Dean of Students, Assistant Dean of Students for Wellness, Office of Community Standards, Residence Life and the Merrimack College Police Department. Formal reports made to the college will be investigated and pursued through the Student Conduct process. Formal reports are not strictly confidential; however, only college officials who need details of the incident in order to pursue the Student Conduct process will be notified.

Confidential Reporting

If a survivor wishes to keep the details of the incident confidential, they should speak with on-campus counselors or health providers at the Hamel Health Center (978-837-5441) and The Counseling Center (978-837-5444).

They may also speak to an off-campus crisis center, such as:

  • National Sexual Assault Hotline, 1-800-656-HOPE.
  • Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, 1-800-841-8371.
  • YWCA of Greater Lawrence, 1-877-509-9922.