Skip to main content area Skip to main navigation Skip to institutional navigation Skip to footer

About Us

5000
  • Wilson’s Corner, future location of Merrimack College, looking toward Andover, now the intersection of routes 114 and 125, with Elm Street straight ahead, circa 1930. Wilson’s Corner, future location of Merrimack College, looking toward Andover, now the intersection of routes 114 and 125, with Elm Street straight ahead, circa 1930.
  • Baccalaureate Mass, late 1980s, Fr. John Deegan, O.S.A. Baccalaureate Mass, late 1980s, Fr. John Deegan, O.S.A.
  • View of McQuade Library from Cushing Hall, 1970s. View of McQuade Library from Cushing Hall, 1970s.
  • View of Austin Hall, mid-70s View of Austin Hall, mid-70s
  • First Commencement at Merrimack, outside Cushing Hall, Sunday June 3, 1951. First Commencement at Merrimack, outside Cushing Hall, Sunday June 3, 1951.
  • Aerial View, 1960s. Aerial View, 1960s.
  • Student in the library, basement of Gildea Hall (currently Sakowich Center), 1964. Student in the library, basement of Gildea Hall (currently Sakowich Center), 1964.
  • Aerial View, c. 1970. Aerial View, c. 1970.
  • Computer Lab, McQuade Library, late 1980s. Computer Lab, McQuade Library, late 1980s.
  • Sullivan Hall view from Cushing Hall, 1960s. Sullivan Hall view from Cushing Hall, 1960s.
  • The Merrimack College Choir meets with Pope John Paul II after singing at Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, Palm Sunday, 1989. The Merrimack College Choir meets with Pope John Paul II after singing at Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, Palm Sunday, 1989.

History

Merrimack College was founded in 1947 in North Andover, Massachusetts, by the Order of St. Augustine O.S.A.

The Augustinians, at the invitation of Richard Cushing, then Archbishop of Boston, established the College as a direct response to the needs and aspirations of local G.I.’s returning home from World War II.

Merrimack College is a tribute to the man who, more than anyone else, made it all possible, the Reverend Vincent A. McQuade. A native Lawrencian, Reverend McQuade, led the College to eventually become a showcase of the Merrimack Valley, approximately 25 miles north of Boston.

Since that time, the now 220-acre Merrimack College has graduated nearly 22,000 students; has grown to nearly 40 buildings including a 125,000-volume library; four classroom buildings; including the Gregor Johann Mendel, O.S.A., Science, Engineering and Technology Center; the 130,000-square-foot Sakowich Campus Center; the Rogers Center for the Arts; the S. Peter Volpe Athletic Center; Austin Hall, which houses administrative offices; the Collegiate Church of Christ the Teacher; student apartment buildings, townhouses and residence halls; and the Louis H. Hamel Health Center. Students at Merrimack College now come from all across the United States and around the globe.

 

 

  • Quick Facts

    • 1989 The Merrimack College Choir met with Pope John Paul II after singing at Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica on Palm Sunday.

    • 1960 Archbishop Richard J. Cushing of Boston is affiliated to the Order of Saint Augustine and dedicates Monican and Austin (later Ash) Centres.

    • First Commencement at Merrimack, outside Cushing Hall, Sunday June 3, 1951.