67th Undergraduate Commencement
Dear Degree Candidates, Families and Friends,
Welcome to commencement at Merrimack College. The following pages are designed to help you plan a joyous and memorable commencement day.
If you have questions, please email the commencement office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Continue to visit these pages between now and the ceremony for updated information.
Commencement Weekend Event Schedule
Saturday, May 20, 2017
Collegiate Church of Christ the Teacher, Merrimack College
Graduating seniors and their family and friends are invited to join Mass in celebration of our undergraduate candidates. Mass will begin promptly at 4 p.m. Please arrive a few minutes early to ensure seating.
67th Undergraduate Commencement
Sunday, May 21, 2017
Lawler Arena, Merrimack Athletics Complex
Doors open to guests at 8 a.m. Family and friends must have a ticket to enter the arena. Seats are not reserved.
Letter from the Registrar
Congratulations! You have worked hard to reach this point, the time in which you transition from student to graduate. You should be proud of a job well done.
In preparation for commencement activities this spring, please keep the following in mind:
- On March 1, you will receive an online survey from the registrar’s office to confirm information related to your degree. The survey will also ask whether you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony. It is very important that you review your degree information thoroughly and respond to the survey no later than March 8 to ensure your name is eligible to be printed in the program. If you do not receive this survey, please send an email to email@example.com, and one will be sent.
- It is your responsibility to check MyMack to make certain that there are no outstanding grades or financial charges that would prevent your degree from being awarded. Those students expecting transfer credit or AP credit must ensure that all the proper documents have been received no later than March 3 at 5 p.m. In addition, if you haven’t already, please take this time to review your degree audit. If needed, sit with your adviser to ensure you are on track to have completed all your requirements.
- All students who have completed the requirements to earn their degree are eligible to participate in commencement. Students who have not completed all of the requirements, but are within eight credits of completion, may still participate in commencement as a walker. However, degrees will not be conferred on all degree requirements are met. There are no exceptions to this policy. Please keep in mind you are only eligible to participate in one commencement.
- Merrimack confers degrees three times a year, at spring commencement, on Aug. 31 and on Dec. 31. Those completing their degree requirements during the summer will receive their diplomas on Aug. 31.
- While the registrar’s office will not contact students who are cleared to graduate, we will use email to contact students on the degree list who are not cleared. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor their Merrimack email for important messages from the registrar’s office throughout this semester and during the weeks and days leading up to commencement.
- If your family needs a letter of invitation to acquire a visa to attend commencement, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the Merrimack commencement website often to stay updated on commencement activities and important information and dates.
Again, congratulations on a job well done! We are proud of you and look forward to celebrating with you at commencement.
Please click on the interactive links below.
Graduating students may pick up their cap, gown and tickets (for both the commencement ceremony and the live streaming) on Friday, April 28, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room at the Sakowich Campus Center. All students must show a photo ID (Mack Card is preferred) and sign for their tickets. Graduates may not pick up tickets for other students, and tickets will not be mailed. After April 28, items will be available for pickup Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., in the provost’s office on the first floor of Austin Hall.
Each graduating student will be allotted four tickets to the undergraduate commencement. Be sure to distribute these tickets to family and friends prior to the Sunday morning ceremony.
Students will have an opportunity to pick up two (2) tickets to Live Streaming in theRogers Center for the Arts – tickets are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students will have the opportunity to pick up two (2) tickets to a live stream of the event will be shown in the Rogers Center for the Arts – tickets are on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open at 8 a.m. A ticket is required to enter the Rogers Center, and seats are not reserved. Rogers Center Live Stream tickets are available for pick up at Cap, Gown and Ticket pick up on Friday April 28, 2017, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., MPR, Sakowich Campus Center.
The ceremony will also be available via webcast. A link will be provided on the Merrimack College home page. The event will be archived on the Merrimack website for later viewing.
Students are encouraged to share their unneeded commencement tickets via the commencement Facebook page. Students in need of tickets are encouraged to check this page frequently. Tickets may not be bought or sold under any circumstances.
All graduating seniors are strongly encouraged to attend the commencement rehearsal on Friday, May 19, at 10 a.m. This is a full walk-through, beginning with lineup in the Sakowich Campus Center, followed by procession to Lawler Arena. Maps of the arena will be distributed at the rehearsal.
The lineup of graduates will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 21, in the Multipurpose Room at the Sakowich Campus Center. Candidates should arrive dressed in cap, gown and hood. Students will be grouped by school (Girard School of Business, School of Education and Social Policy, School of Science and Engineering, School of Liberal Arts), then alphabetically by major.
The commencement ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. in Lawler Arena and end between 12:30 and 1 p.m. Doors open to guests at 8 a.m. Family and friends must have a ticket to enter Lawler Arena. Seats are not reserved. A reception follows the ceremony in the Sakowich Campus Center.
A reception will be held in the Sakowich Campus Center following the commencement ceremony. The event ends at 2 p.m.
Hockmeyer Studios/Essex Commencement Photos is the official photographer of commencement. Photos will be taken of each graduate as they cross the stage to receive their diploma. Soon after the ceremony, Hockmeyer will mail all graduates information on how to purchase photographs. The company may be reached at 978-388-9832. Guests taking photographs are not permitted to stand on chairs or in aisles at any time, both for reasons of safety and because to do so would block the view of others. We strongly recommend purchasing the professional photographs.
A baccalaureate Mass will be held at 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 20, at the Collegiate Church of Christ the Teacher on the Merrimack campus. Graduating students should line up in front of Austin Hall at 3:30 p.m., dressed in gown and hood (no cap for Mass), for procession into the church. The Mass is always well-attended; guests are urged to arrive a few minutes early to ensure seating. A reception will follow the Mass at the Sakowich Campus Center.
A reception will immediately follow Baccalaureate Mass at the Sakowich Campus center, all family and friends are welcome.
All graduating seniors are invited to join in Senior Sendoff Week during the week of May 16. A schedule of events and signup information will be sent to all graduating students. Questions may be directed to your 2017 Class Council or the Office of Student Involvement at email@example.com or 978-837-5508.
In the event of inclement weather on the day of commencement, students will receive a notice via RAVE and social media. Information will also be available on the college’s weather emergency information line (978-837-5700) and the Merrimack website.
Where and when is student lineup?
Students should report to Multipurpose Room in the Sakowich Campus Center at 8:30 a.m.
What side do I wear my tassel on?
Tassels should be worn on the right side until the graduation ceremony is completed.
Where do I return my regalia after the ceremony?
Students should bring their cap, gown and hood to the first-floor lounge at the Sakowich Campus Center. Don’t forget to remove your alumni pin. Keep only the tassel.
How long does commencement last?
Approximately three hours.
Can friends and family who are unable to attend watch the ceremony?
Yes, the ceremony will be webcasted live as well as archived for later viewing. A link will be provided on the Merrimack College home page.
Do small children need a ticket to attend commencement?
A ticket is required for all those over the age of 3. Babies and children under 3 who can sit on an adult’s lap do not need a ticket. Please note: No strollers are allowed into Lawler Arena.
Is there a designated seating area in the arena for those with disabilities?
Yes, a wheelchair-accessible area on the arena floor is available to those with disabilities. The section has been designated wheelchair plus one.
What items are prohibited from being brought into the arena?
For safety reasons and the comfort of all guests, the following items are barred from the arena: balloons, wrapped gifts, backpacks, alcohol and strollers. Security will be on hand to enforce this policy.
Where may I meet my family following the ceremony?
Graduates will exit the arena at Schelzi Plaza, behind Dunkin’ Donuts, where they may meet their family and friends.
Are there any post-ceremony events?
Yes, a reception will be hosted in the Sakowich Campus Center after Saturday’s Baccalaureate Mass and Sunday’s undergraduate commencement ceremony.
Will professional photographs be taken during the event?
Yes, all students will be photographed as they cross the stage, and an order form for prints will be mailed to your home address on file. The photography company, Hockmeyer Studios/Essex Commencement Photos, may be reached at 978-388-9832.
Where in the area can we go for dinner after the reception?
Suggested restaurants include:
- Andolinis Restaurant, 19 Essex St., Andover
- Bertucci’s, 435 Andover St., North Andover
- Burtons Grill, 145 Turnpike St., North Andover
- Grassfields, 207 N. Main St., Andover
- Jamie’s Restaurant, 25 High St., North Andover
- Joe Fish, 1120 Osgood St., North Andover
- Lee Chen, 230 Winthrop Ave., Lawrence
- Palmers Restaurant and Tavern, 18 Elm St., Andover
- Salvatore’s, 34 Park St., Andover
- Salvatore’s, 354 Merrimack St., Lawrence
- Thai Sweet Basil, 209 N. Main St., Andover
- Yella Grille, 15 Post Office Ave., Andover
- Depot Pizza, 53 Essex Street, Andover, MA
- Sauce, 19 Essex Street, Andover, MA
- Ferullo’s Pizzeria, 38 Park Street, Andover MA
- Palmers, 18 Elm Street, Andover MA
- One Thong Chai, 12 Post Office Ave, Andover MA
- D’Agostino’s, 93 Main Street, Andover MA
- Casa Blanca, 10 Main Street, Andover MA
- LaRosa’s Café&Bar, 7 Barnard Street, Andover MA
- Teatone, 17 Railroad Street, Andover MA
- Mootone, 15 Railroad Street, Andover MA
- King’s Subs and Pizza, 11 Bartlet Street Andover MA
- Dominos, 63 Park Street, Andover MA
- Peking Garden, 36 Park Street, Andover, MA
- UBurger, 89 Main Street, Andover MA
- Oak & Iron, 18 Red Spring Road, Andover MA
- Elm Square Oyster Company, Two Elm Square, Andover, MA
Saturday, May 20, 2017, 1:00pm
Lawler Arena, Merrimack Athletics Complex
The Honors Convocation ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2017, 1:00pm, in Lawler Arena, Merrimack Athletics Complex. NO TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR HONORS CONVOCATION. Honors Convocation is open to all family and friends.
At the Honors Convocation ceremony, students are dressed in graduation gowns, cross the stage and receive their honors cord – top academic student awards are also given at this ceremony.
Students report to Hamel Gym, Merrimack Athletics Complex promptly at 12:30pm, dressed in graduation gown (no hood or cap) to line up for procession into the arena.
Honors Convocation is an annual celebration where undergraduate students are recognized for their distinguished academic achievements. This high honor is given to graduating seniors who have a minimum GPA of 3.50 at the beginning of their spring semester; these outstanding students are designated Presidential Scholars.
Academic student awards will be awarded at the Honors Convocation ceremony as well.
Saturday, May 20, 2017, 11:00am
A reception to honor legacy families will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2017, 11:00 a.m., at Cascia Hall on the Merrimack campus. A light brunch will be served. Legacy students are invited to a reception to pay tribute to their family legacy at Merrimack College. President Hopey will present each graduate with a Legacy Medallion to be worn at Commencement.