Contracts and Agreements Process
Only the president, executive vice president and the chief financial officer have authority to sign a contract or agreement binding the college.
If a contract or agreement is for more than one year and/or in the amount of $500,000 or higher, only the president is authorized to sign. Please allow two weeks for review.
Step 1: Department receives contract or request for a contract, and ensures that all pertinent information is filled in (e.g., party names, term dates, payment terms, etc.).
Step 2: Department completes the appropriate For Signature Cover Sheet and obtains all appropriate approval signatures:
- Requestor: Person requesting contract review must always sign acknowledging his/her submission of contract.
- Department VP: Must sign for all contracts/agreements acknowledging his/her review and acceptance.
- Provost: If contract pertains to or affects academics, requestor must obtain signature of provost acknowledging his/her review and acceptance.
- Fiscal: If contract is for more than $5,000 or if a contract pertains to an employment position (faculty or otherwise), requestor must obtain a signature from fiscal acknowledging funds exist and are available.
- Human Resources: If contract pertains to an employment position, recruiting services, etc. (faculty or otherwise), requestor must obtain a signature from the director of human resources acknowledging the position has been approved and is available.
Step 3: Submit contract/agreement with completed cover sheet “General Counsel” for review.
Step 4: General counsel provides edits on contract/agreement to requestor, and requestor works with outside party to incorporate changes. Submit revised version to general counsel for final review.
Step 5: General counsel approves contract/agreement and submits for execution on behalf of the college.
Step 6: General counsel returns executed contract/agreement to requestor for completion of process (countersigning, purchasing department).
Process at a Glance
|Department receives contract / request for contract, and fills in pertinent information on the agreement / contract.||Department completes “For Signature” cover sheet and obtains all appropriate approval signatures.||Contract / agreement, along with cover sheet and signatures, submitted to general counsel’s office for review and edit.|
|General counsel’s office provides to requestor edits for the contract / agreement; requestor works with vendor to incorporate changes. Revise version resubmitted to general counsel’s office for final review.||General counsel’s office approves and submits contract / agreement for execution on behalf of the college.||General counsel’s office returns signed contract to requestor for completion of process (counter-signing, purchasing department).|