Reading about how to play a piano is not the same thing as playing one— and the power of hands-on experience can never be underestimated. This principle is the foundation of everything we do at Merrimack College.
Through any of our countless experiential learning opportunities, you can become more fully engaged with your studies and with the world around us. This deepens your learning, broadens your perspective, and brings our Augustinian tradition to life by encouraging you to become more active and involved in the community. It gives you an edge by letting you put theory into practice, as you discover how to apply your classroom studies in real-world settings.
As a Merrimack Student, these are just a few of the opportunities for Experiential Learning that you can take part in:
- Through the Grace J. Palmisano Center for Campus Ministry, in partnership with Project Medishare, our Haiti Service Learning Initiative Civil Engineering students gained hands on experience creating a viable drinking water solution for the people of Casse Haiti. Athletic Training students trained allied-health professionals in new ways they could better help patients with physical ailments.
- The School of Science and Engineering has created a newly formed Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Center. The purpose of this center is to provide students an opportunity to head into the community and teach the importance of STEM to our nation’s youth.
- Our International Programs office offers Short-Term, Semester and Full Year study abroad opportunities. Locations include Italy, Australia, Ireland and Chengdu China as well.
- Students have loved the 3 week summer session in San Gimignano, Italy. This trip offers students 8 credits, with courses being taught in English, with no Italian required.
- You can also partake in a Study-Travel course entitled “Crossing Borders” which gives you the opportunity to explore a time in Spain and Morocco when Jews, Christians and Muslims lived together. You’ll witness the sites, sounds, music and art of these religions all while on this trip.