Summer Transportation Institute
Experience campus life for a month & learn about transportation!
Next class scheduled for: June 30 - July 26, 2013
Applications due by: May 10, 2013
Download an application (in English): application will be available after January 10, 2013
The Summer Transportation Institute is a four-week-long intensive program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Massachusetts Highway Department and Merrimack College. The Institute seeks to aid in developing a diverse and robust workforce for the transportation industry by exposing 10th, 11th, and 12th grade high school students to transportation careers.
The STI provides a broad array of opportunities for its participants including:
- Classroom activities – work in teams; learn key principles of a highly effective life; meet with transportation professionals from across New England; develop communication and interpersonal skills; learn good study habits, discuss the art and science of mathematical modeling.
- Laboratory activities – build a magnetically levitated train and race it; design, build and test highway crash cushions and bridges; and learn about surveying methods.
- Field trips – U.S. DOT’s Volpe Center which includes visits to the Center’s Maritime Tracking and Display Technologies Lab, Vehicle Crash Worthiness Test Lab, Hazardous Materials Transportation Center, Transportation Simulators Lab; Traffic control center for Boston’s Central Artery; Boston’s public transit operations center, an intermodal facility; one of the largest and most complex highway constructions projects of all time: the “Big Dig”, and much more.
• Worth approximately $6500
• Workshops and handouts
• Free room and board
• Facility use, lab fees
• Equipment and supplies
• Text books
• Travel (field trips)
Checklist for filing an application:
• Completed Application Form
• Letter of recommendation (from teacher or counselor)
• Unofficial transcripts
Send completed application packet, by mail, to:
Jean Reynolds, Coordinator
Merrimack College – STI
315 Turnpike St. N2
North Andover MA 01845
Or by email.