Nurture Critical Thinking
The School of Arts and Sciences is the bedrock and intellectual core of Merrimack’s Augustinian values and academics. Through the arts, humanities and life sciences, students are exposed to diverse ideas, theories and perspectives that nurture critical thinking and problem-solving skills transferable to many careers and fields.
- Students engage in faculty-led research in our Learning, Memory and Sleep Lab and through prestigious efforts such as National Science Foundation and Mass Life Sciences grants
- The Master of Arts in Communication, with its signature fellowship program, provides up to full tuition scholarships
- The Writer’s House brings Pulitzer-Prize-winning authors to campus for lectures and conversations
Recognizing Merrimack's Community of Scholars
Research & Creative Achievement Conference
The Research & Creative Achievement Conference (RCAC) highlights original creative and innovative work by students, faculty and staff.
Career Outcomes Rate
92% of Arts and Science’s undergraduate class of 2023 were either employed, participating in voluntary service, or continuing their education within nine months of graduation.
Merrimack, New England School of Law, George Washington University and Boston College are just some of the graduate programs Arts and Sciences graduates are attending.
With a 13:1 student-faculty ratio, you’ll get to know your professors — experts who have literally been there and done that and want to help you do the same.
TOP HIRING & INTERNSHIP COMPANIES
Undergraduate Majors and Graduate Programs
- APPLIED ARTS AND SCIENCES, B.A.
- APPLIED CHEMISTRY, M.S.
- ART & ART HISTORY, B.A.
- BIOCHEMISTRY, B.A.
- BIOCHEMISTRY, B.S.
- BIOLOGY, B.A.
- BIOLOGY, B.S.
- BIOLOGY, M.S.
- CHEMISTRY, B.S.
- COMMUNICATION & MEDIA, B.A.
- COMMUNICATION, M.A. (On-campus and hybrid)
- ENGLISH, B.A.
- ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES & SUSTAINABILITY, B.A.
- ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES & SUSTAINABILITY, B.S.
- GRAPHIC DESIGN, B.A.
- HISTORY, B.A.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDIES, B.A.
- MATHEMATICS, B.A.
- MUSIC, B.A.
- NEUROSCIENCE, B.S.
- PHILOSOPHY, B.A.
- PHYSICS, B.A.
- PHYSICS, B.S.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE, B.A.
- PSYCHOLOGY, B.A.
- PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION & AFFAIRS, M.P.A.A. (On-campus or online)
- RELIGIOUS AND THEOLOGICAL STUDIES, B.A.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE, B.A.
- SPIRITUAL DIRECTION, M.A.
- SPIRITUALITY, M.A.
- THEATRE ARTS, B.A.
- WOMEN’S AND GENDER STUDIES, B.A.
- WORLD LANGUAGES AND CULTURAL STUDIES, B.A. (Spanish Concentration)
EXPLORE ARTS AND SCIENCES
Explore all the School of Arts and Sciences has to offer inside and outside of the classroom to tailor your experience to your unique needs, goals and dreams.
Aside from the academics, Merrimack allowed me to gain the social and professional skills needed to interview at universities through both attending conferences and the professional development retreat.”
Megan Sargent ’22
Current Ph.D. Candidate, Tufts University
Student, Faculty & Staff Highlights
Employer: Boston Bruins
Get Involved: Clubs & Organizations
There are endless opportunities to get involved at Merrimack and right within the School of Arts and Sciences.
Gain different perspectives, put learning into action and learn from peers and faculty advisors through one of our School of Arts and Sciences clubs:
- Art Warriors
- Club Sports at Merrimack
- Criminology Club
- Film Club
- Gaming Club
- Gender Equality at Merrimack
- Graduate Student Senate
- Live to Give
- Merrimack Television Club
- Onstagers Dramatic Society
- Panhellenic Council
- Unity House
- WMCK Radio
NOTABLE & QUOTABLE
Dr. Daniel Herda, chair and associate professor in the Department of Sociology, recently published a book titled “Chicago’s Reckoning,” which discusses the complicated history of race, politics, and policing in Chicago to explain how crime works from the top down through urban political machines and the elite figures who dominate them. The book was just awarded the American Society of Criminology Division of Communities and Places’s James Short Senior Scholar Award.