Position Overview & Responsibilities
McQuade Library seeks an energetic and experienced individual to fill the position of Metadata Librarian. The Metadata Librarian manages the cataloging and discovery operations of the library, providing access and overseeing the process of all library materials, physical and digital. The Metadata Librarian maintains complete and accurate records to enable user access to library resources.
● Creates, maintains, and enriches metadata for library materials in all formats. Works with library network (NOBLE) to ensure accuracy of holdings and records.
● Administers access to digital resources through discovery service, online guides, database lists, proxy server, catalog, and other portals. Updates and customizes interfaces for digital resource access and discovery.
● With Head of Resource Management (HRM), plans & oversees collection maintenance projects. Coordinates disposition of discarded library materials
● Supervises student worker(s) in Resource Management tasks.
● Works with other RM staff to produce reports, book lists, and collection statistics. Assists HRM in analysis of usage statistics.
● Provides research assistance in the absence of Research Center staff. Serves as liaison to campus departments, and represents the library on relevant faculty, campus, and consortia committees.
● Serves as contact and resource person for student assistants in the absence of an Access Services supervisor.
● Performs similar or related duties as assigned.
● MLIS or MS in Library Science from ALA-accredited institution.
● One to two years experience with cataloging in an academic library.
● Preferred experience with Evergreen ILS, LibGuides, and EBSCO Discovery Service.
● Understanding of integrated library systems, MARC records, and non-MARC metadata.
● Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; Ability to work collegially in a team as well as independently.
● Ability to adapt to changes in work environment and technology.
● Strong service orientation.
● Considerable knowledge of current literature, trends, and developments in the field of library science.
● Understanding and ability to apply best practices in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 12/27/21
Position Code: 937