What to Bring to School
- Bedding for a twin Xtra-long bed
- Painter’s tape
- Cleaning supplies and laundry detergent
- Personal hygiene items
- School supplies
- Surge protector
- Desk lamp
- Clothing for class, hanging out and dressy occasions
- Flip flops/shower caddy
- Coaxial cable for TV
- Hangers for clothes
- Ethernet cable
- Small wastepaper basket
- Dry erase board
- Health insurance card
You will be provided with a bed frame, mattress, desk, desk chair, dresser and wardrobe. This furniture must remain in your assigned room for the duration of the year. If you wish to bring additional furniture, it must meet the safety specifications required. You are not permitted to bring or construct your own beds or raise the bed provided by the college. Any upholstered furniture must meet California Fire Code 117 or higher. All upholstered furniture must also have a tag indicating the fire code rating.
Posters and Decorations
Certain items including, but not limited to, nails, duct tape, double-sided tape, poster gum and thumbtacks may damage the walls. These damages are billed to the room occupants at the end of the year. We recommend you pack a few rolls of blue painter’s tape to prevent damage to the walls if you hang posters and decorations. We prohibit decorations on the ceiling.
Merrimack College is a wireless campus. Access to Wi-Fi is provided in the residential areas. Personal Wi-Fi devices are prohibited. In addition, technology with wireless capabilities including, but not limited to, printers, gaming devices, and Apple TVs must be plugged into an ethernet port with the wireless function turned off.
- If you live in the doubles, triples and quads in Ash, Deegan and Monican, you may have one microwave. Output can be no more than 700 watts, and input can be no more than 1200 watts.
- If you live in the suites in Ash, Monican, North and South Residential Villages, in apartments or in Townhouses, you may have one microwave. Output can be no more than 700 watts, and input can be no more than 1200 watts. It must be stored and used in a common area.
- All microwaves must be plugged into a surge protector.
- Violations of this policy will result in the confiscation of all microwaves present in the space.
- Students may choose to purchase their own units or rent a combination microwave/fridge unit through New England Student Services.
Please Leave at Home
- Hot plate, toaster, toaster oven and other cooking elements
- Air conditioners
- Pets (fish in up to 10-gallon tanks are OK)
- Candles/incense (even unlit and decorative)
- Decorative alcohol bottles
- Lava lamps
- Neon signs
- Wireless printers