Major in Mathematics
As a mathematics major at Merrimack College, you’ll learn to apply mathematical concepts and techniques to real-world problems.
Our dynamic curriculum at Merrimack College will expose you to a variety of theoretical and applied topics in mathematics and will enhance your problem-solving abilities. It will arm you with the skills and concepts you need to recognize and understand patterns in the world around you and apply that understanding in a wide range of professions.
As a mathematics major, you’ll also improve your ability to think critically and reason logically — skills anyone needs to become a responsible, informed citizen.
You will have the opportunity to work alongside faculty on senior honors projects or undergraduate research, in areas including complex analysis, knot theory, sports statistics, recreational mathematics and math education.
Recent projects include:
- “Visualization in Complex Analysis”
- “Does Having Home-Field/Home Court Advantage Make You a Winner?”
- “Conditions for Obtaining Nontrivial Knots from Collections of Vectors”
You may also gain valuable experience by working at the Tutoring and Math Center or serving as mathematics fellows supporting instruction in our introductory courses for nonmajors.
As a mathematics major, you’ll be well equipped to pursue advanced studies in the field or to begin a career in industry, science or education. Recent graduates’ positions include:
- Analyst, Electric Insurance
- Analyst, Product Management at Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Marketing analyst, Sovos Compliance
- Cost estimator, Hanscom Air Force Base
- High school math teacher, North Andover High School
- Middle school math teacher, Garfield Middle School
- Funding coordinator, Forward Financing, Peabody