Associate Professor and Chair
- U.S. History to 1877
- Survey of Latin American History
- American Revolution
- Civil War and Reconstruction
- Colonial American History
- Historical Methods
- History of the Early Republic
- Senior Research Seminar
- Environmental History of North America
- Slavery and Race in the Early Modern Atlantic World
“Recent Scholarship on Slavery and Emancipation in Baltimore,” inMaryland Historical Magazine, 108:1 (Spring, 2013), 471-483.
“The Significance of Group Manumission in Post-Revolutionary Rural Maryland” Slavery and Abolition 32:1 (March, 2011), 75-89.
“John and Caroline Nicols and the Post-Panic Economy of Maryland’s Eastern Shore” Maryland Historical Magazine 105: 3 (Winter, 2010), 335-349.
“The Slaveowner’s Family and Manumission in the Post-Revolutionary Chesapeake Tidewater” in Paths to Freedom: Manumission in the Atlantic World, ed. Rosemary Brana-Shute and Randy J. Sparks (Columbia, S.C.: University of South Carolina Press, 2009), 339-362.