Religious and Theological Studies
Religious and theological studies helps us investigate the meaning and purpose of life through a study of Christianity and other religious traditions.
Merrimack College is a Catholic and Augustinian institution of higher education. We introduce our students to the life, thought and influence of Saint Augustine and feature spiritual, intellectual and ecclesial traditions in your studies.
We offer a comprehensive program that not only investigates many aspects of Christianity, but also provides opportunities for the study of other religions.
Benefits of the Program
- Better understand your world and analyze the religious influences in history, politics and economics.
- Explore the most pressing ethical issues of the day and the psychological and sociological forces that shape the human search for meaning.
- Develop strong analytical and writing skills.
- Appreciate cross-cultural ideas and the diversity of American culture.
- Learn about yourself, your values and what makes you happy and fulfilled.
All students who enrolled at Merrimack College prior to the Fall of 2012 are required to pass eight (8) credits of religious and theological studies courses as follows:
- RTS 1100 Christianity in Context
- All such students are also required to pass one additional RTS course at the 2000 level or above before graduation.
As of Fall 2012 all incoming students are required to pass the following four (4) credit course: RTS1100 Christianity in Context
Many religious and theological studies courses fulfill the Liberal Studies Core requirements such as Arts and Literature (AL), Ethics (E), Cultural Diversity (D), Experiential Learning (X), and Historical Studies (H).