Opening Our Hearts and Minds
It is our duty, as an institution of higher learning and faith, to continuously ask ourselves how will we make the world a better place and how will we better the lives of others. To do this, we must listen. We must learn. We must pursue progress. And most of all, we must open our hearts and minds.
A Call to Action
At Merrimack College, the summer of 2020 was a catalyst to visibly renew and live our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and to make investments in the coordination and institutionalization of inclusion and equity.
Following many campus-wide meetings, President Hopey raised diversity, equity and inclusion as an institutional priority and announced the creation of a Special Assistant to the President position to focus on diversity, equity and inclusion. After an extensive interview process that included a diverse hiring committee of students, faculty and staff, the appointment of Dr. Simona Sharoni as special assistant to the President for diversity, equity and inclusion was announced.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Goals
- To integrate diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) into all aspects of campus life
- To facilitate coordination and collaboration among all perspectives on campus
- To provide ongoing education and training for faculty, staff and students
- To focus on DEI in recruiting, hiring and retention of faculty, staff and students
- To enhance support for students, faculty and staff from underrepresented groups
Programs and Initiatives
Merrimack has been focused on advancing diversity, equity and inclusion for more than a decade. Our efforts have led to the creation of particular programs and initiatives tailored to increase access and to promote diversity and inclusion.
Faculty and Staff Affinity Groups
There are several staff and faculty affinity groups that have been active on campus, creating space for like-minded people to connect with and support one another and to explore ways to collaborate with student groups that share their identities and passion.
Current affinity groups include:
- First Generation Faculty and Staff
- International Faculty and Staff
- LGBTQ+ Faculty and Staff
- Merrimack Professionals of Color (MPOC)
- Staff and Faculty Disability and Accessibility group
To join any of these groups and/or for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Events Sponsored By Affinity Groups
- Thursday, March 4, 5:30-6:30 p.m. - International Faculty and Staff Meet and Greet with International Students
- Wednesday, March 17, 2-3 p.m. - First Meeting of the Staff and Faculty Disability and Accessibility Affinity Group