Why Study Sociology?
Sociology is the scientific study of people in groups, their patterns and the results of their social interaction. Are you interested in how society works or want to learn how to change it?
About the Degree
We will teach you how to study the social lives of people and their behavior, including survey, observation and experimentation techniques. You will learn about the elements that form society and their influence on how people think, feel and act.
Whether your goal is to pursue an advanced degree or to work in law, social work, social services, public health, journalism, education, or criminal justice, sociology will help you make sense of the complex social relationships between individuals and society.
- Develop your sociological imagination to understand how society functions and how it can influence human behavior and choices.
- Gain valuable field experience before you graduate with community internships and directed studies.
- Develop your skills while building relationships with faculty in our supportive environment.
- Learn valuable managerial skills as you develop your own sociological research project.
- Study abroad in Germany to learn about the sociology of immigration.
- Acquire valuable statistical and data analysis skills.
- Benefit from our interdisciplinary curriculum and explore related electives in political science, psychology, women’s and gender studies, criminology and more.
What do our majors do with their sociology degree?
Check out what some of our alumni are up to!
|Kerri Mackey (’20)||Human Resource Administrator, Middlesex Glass Inc.|
|Callie Santos (’19)||Strategic Partner Manager, Door Dash|
|Sandra Hovesepian (’19)||Finance, Comm., & Tech. Manager, Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church|
|Audrey Ramirez (’18)||Student Accounts Representative, Middlesex Community College|
|Lori Grant (’18)||Recruiter, Oxford Global Resources, Beverly, MA|
|Gabrielle Martello (’18)||Permanency Coordinator, Beckett Family of Services, Burlington, VT|
|Colleen Englert (’17)||Digital Marketing Specialist, Galaxy Media Company, Syracuse, NY|
|Shannon Campbell (’17)||Police Officer, Windham, NH Police Department|
|Jane Chesley (’17)||Research Master Student, Maastricht University, Netherlands|
|Amshula Divadkar (’17)||Sales Enablement Manager, Starburst Data, Boston|
|Taylor Criscuolo (’16)||Roger Williams University, School of Law (Class of 2020), Bristol, RI|
|Allison Farina (’16)||Simmons University, Masters of Social Work (Class of 2021), Boston|
|Stephanie McNally (’15)||Director of Food and Beverage, Aramark|
|Taciane Santos (’15)||Special Projects Manager, Roca, Inc., Everett, MA|
|Gabriella Vega (’14)||Clinical Supervisor, Youth Villages, New Hampshire|
|Cordelia Vickery (13)||Case Manager, New Hampshire Judicial Branch|
|Jaclyn Harvell (’12)||Language Based Teacher, Winchester Public Schools|
|Jessica Walsh (’12)||Assistant Director, Enrollment Services, Boston University|
|Janine Moretti (’10)||Child Welfare Social Worker, Youth Villages, Boston|
Connect with Us