Alpha Kappa Delta
University of Southern California sociologist Emory Bogardus founded Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD), the International Sociology Honor Society, in 1920. Since then, more than 640 chapters have been chartered in seven countries. All of them, including Merrimack’s, share one purpose: “To investigate humanity for the purpose of service.”
Our department was chartered as the Phi chapter (Region I) of AKD in 2006. We have inducted nearly 150 students since then.
Jobs and General Information
- Association for Critical Sociology
- Association of Black Sociologists
- Association for Humanist Sociology
- Eastern Sociological Society
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- Sociologists for Women in Society
We strongly encourage our majors and minors to study abroad. Students who are considering studying abroad should visit the Office of Global Education as a first step. Our chair determines if courses from accredited institutions will transfer to Merrimack.