- Associate Professor, Communication
- Chair, Department of Communication and Media
- College Radio
- Intercultural Communication
- Media Content Analysis
- Sports Communication
- Visual Communication
Through my research, I focus on the nexus between communication and culture. I am especially interested in using social-scientific methods to understand how communication technologies (like televisions, computers and smart phones) mediate enculturation and impact psychosocial processes such as identity formation and the construction of personal worldviews. Whether my research deals with the sports media, popular music and how it manifests on television or communication patterns among Jews, Christians and Muslims, I am always interested in issues of power, oppression, (in)equality, otherness and how people who live at the margins of a given culture are represented symbolically and semantically in media messages.
- Ph.D. Communication Bowling Green State University
- M.A. Communication University of Delaware
- B.A. Communication Virginia Tech
- Communication and Religion
- Emergent Media Use
- Media Processes and Effects
- Popular Music
- Race and Gender in Media
- (COM 3360) Visual Communication
- (COM 3420) The Film Experience
- (COM 4011) Special Topics: Sports Communication
- (COM 4531) Intercultural Communication
Tollison, A. T., and Turner, J. S. (2017). “Cooperating Across Classrooms: Cooperative-Experiential Learning Through Design and Implementation of Health Campaign Messages.” Pedagogy in Health Promotion.
Turner, J. S. (2015). “The Semiotics of a Native American Sports Logo: The Signification of the Screaming Savage.” Journal of Sports Media, 10(2), 89-114.
Turner, J. S. (2014). “A Longitudinal Content Analysis of Gender and Ethnicity Portrayals on ESPN’s SportsCenter from 1999 to 2009.” Communication and Sport, 2(4), 303-327.
Turner, J. S. (2014). “This Is SportsCenter: A Longitudinal Content Analysis of ESPN’s Signature Television Sports News Program from 1999 and 2009.” Journal of Sports Media, 9(1), 45-70.
- Honors Convocation Faculty Speaker, Merrimack College, 2015.