Combined Major in Environmental Data Science
Environmental data science is the study of environmental issues through the use of data sets.
What is Environmental Data Science?
Major in a multidisciplinary degree that connects two disciplines across the college: environmental science and data science. Merrimack College’s environmental data science major will take your education to new heights, teaching you how to utilize data science for environmental applications.
Environmental data science internships provide you with opportunities to apply the knowledge you’ve gained to real world applications while exploring potential future career options. You’ll be able to foster connections with our faculty members and enhance your talents in a supportive and committed atmosphere.
Prepare yourself for the workforce by obtaining a degree that combines analytical science and natural resource preservation.
What You’ll Learn
As an environmental data science major, you will:
- Follow current trends in environmental data analysis.
- Gain insight into the current scientific understanding of the environmental challenges we face today.
- Master addressing intricate environmental problems by exploring patterns utilizing a wide array of analytical approaches.
- Identify the best methods for conveying quantitative environmental information to policymakers and the public.
- Explore possible future environmental scenarios by forecasting potential outcomes of human activities.
- Set career objectives and take part in training in the field through an internship in environmental data science or by assisting faculty conduct research to prepare you for your next step.
Your degree comes with a lot of opportunity: you may choose to work as an environmental data analyst for a private consulting firm in Boston, join a department in local government as an environmental data scientist, or work for the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of environmental scientists and specialists is projected to grow 6 percent from 2022 to 2032, faster than the average for all occupations.
Potential career paths for environmental data science majors upon graduation include:
- Environmental Data Scientist
- Environmental Data Analyst
- Data Analytics Consultant
- Climate Data Scientist
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician