Combined Major in Music and Business Marketing and Management
Music and Business Marketing and Management is an interdisciplinary major exploring the business side of the music industry.
What is Music and Business Management and Marketing?
Music and business marketing and management is the study of professional business theories and practices within the music industry. You also will study how music is developed to better understand the industry itself.
What You’ll Learn
As a Music and Business Marketing and Management major, you will take courses in the Department of Visual and Performing Arts as well as the Girard School of Business. Your internship will serve to bridge the two disciplines, giving students the opportunity to apply their business knowledge in a music industry environment.
As a music and business marketing and management major, you will:
- Analyze and interpret music from around the world in a variety of genres, styles and traditions
- Develop your theoretical understanding of music composition
- Create your own original compositions
- Sharpen your critical writing skills about musical history, genres, styles and audiences
- Understand and perform various types of industry-related research
- Develop the capacity to collaborate successfully, both online and in-person
- Motivate yourself and manage creative projects
- Develop ideas that stand the test of critical analysis
- Deliver effective oral presentations to students, professors and outside clients
- Develop a wide range of skills in time management, strategic thinking, money management, financing, budgeting, leadership, networking and more
Earning this degree at Merrimack will open the doors to excelling in the job market: some graduates may decide to pursue a graduate degree in business, public relations, communications, or even a law degree, while others may choose to work in music management firms.
A degree in this field can open the doors to many careers such as:
- Music Program Managers
- Commercial Partnership Manager
- Music Publishing Manager
- Music Licensing Specialist
- Music News Reporter
- Concert Stage Manager
- Special Events Manager
- Concert Promoter
- A&R Representative