Under the direct supervision of the Facilities and Grounds Manager, the Building Maintenance worker will perform journeyman levels of various building trades, and other duties as assigned.
- Performs minor plumbing, electrical and mechanical repairs to campus buildings, fixtures and their contents.
- Responds to emergency and routine calls initiated through supervisor’s requests, and for daytime and weekends respond to Merrimack College Police Department and performs required work requests.
- Assists personnel of the department in snow and ice removal, grounds maintenance, equipment deliveries and set ups.
- Monitor and reset components of alarm, heat, light and power utilities to assure proper and reliable operators.
- Maintains appearance and operational hardware of buildings in a satisfactory manner through constant litter removal, graffiti removal and adjustments, and janitorial duties as needed.
- Initiates work orders for or brings to the attention of supervisor work which requires attention for which there was not ample time to correct or which requires the service of the trade service group.
- All other duties as required.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Five years related building maintenance.
- General knowledge of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry and locksmith trade.
- Ability to read blueprints and maintain accurate logbooks as required.
- Knowledge of power tools.
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid hoisting license, or willing to obtain.
Application Materials Should Include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Vaccinations and Remote Work
This is an on-campus position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
The COVID-19 vaccine and booster for which an individual may be eligible are highly recommended for students, faculty and staff. Merrimack College does not require proof of COVID vaccination for enrollment, employment or to be a guest on our campus.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Catholic and Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Catholic and Augustinian mission and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 4,000 undergraduate and some 1,400 graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries. The College features more than 100 career-focused undergraduate, professional and graduate programs, all taught by exceptional faculty who are passionate about their subject and student success. The College comprises five schools: liberal arts, science and engineering, nursing and health sciences, the Winston school of education and social policy, and the Girard school of business. The College’s suburban 240-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in the towns of North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges and Universities/Larger Programs (M1) institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up in the U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 34th out of 175 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2022. Merrimack also ranked 3rd in the Most Innovative Schools category. Merrimack is a NCAA Division I athletic institution.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.