Working with Preschoolers
Jumpstart brings college students and community volunteers together with preschool children for year-long, individualized tutoring and mentoring.
At Jumpstart, we know that every child is born with the potential to succeed in school and in life. We also know that the foundation for that success is established in the early years, before a child enters kindergarten.
When you join Jumpstart you will be trained to work with underserved preschool children for a full year to help prepare them for success in school and in life. Our proven curriculum helps children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for kindergarten, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late.
You will serve two mornings or afternoons per week in a low-income preschool with a team of fellow students. Each corps member works with two or three preschoolers in individualized relationships, supporting children in language, literacy and social skills, to help them prepare for kindergarten.
Corps Member Position Details
- Position is eight to 15 hours/week for 300 hours total, October-May.
- There is an additional option for a reduced 200-hour position.
- A $1,290 AmeriCorps Education Award is available.
- You may earn class credit through human development field experience, early childhood education pre-practicum hours and service learning hours in various departments.
- A limited number of work-study or stipend positions are available.
- All corps members must have one of the following time slots available in their schedule to participate:
- Monday and Wednesday, 8 a.m. to noon
- Monday and Wednesday, 2 to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday, 2 to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to noon
Visit www.jstart.org/apply. Training begins in late September. Jumpstart is a proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network.