Major in Elementary Education
At Merrimack College, as an education major concentrating in elementary education (1-6), you’ll gain the expertise, skills, and confidence to teach elementary school students.
Approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, our programs provide you with the training required to earn your state teaching license in elementary education. Bonus? Through hands-on learning opportunities, you’ll develop your education philosophy, create a portfolio and hone your classroom management skills.
In the elementary education program, you will:
- Deepen your understanding of how young students develop and learn.
- Gain practical experience teaching the all-important foundation topics of reading, math, and science.
- Build your expertise by choosing from a wide variety of electives, including psychology, diversity, social justice, ethics, and counseling and guidance.
100% of education majors participate in at least one practicum. You’ll gain invaluable classroom experience during your pre-practicum and practicum student teaching. It’s your chance to take what you’ve learned at Merrimack and apply it at one of the many schools in the area.
Upon successful completion of the education program, you’ll be well-equipped to pursue a career in education. Positions may include:
- General studies teacher in grades 1-6
- Guidance counselor
- Reading, math, or science tutor
- School administrator
Courses You’ll Take
Sample Curriculum Guide
Visit the online course catalog for more information on all majors and minors.