Merrimack College Nursing Major
What You’ll Learn
Merrimack’s nursing program will prepare you to:
- Think critically in fast-paced health care environments and provide safe, patient-centered care.
- Adapt to emerging and rapidly changing health care settings using cutting-edge technology.
- Promote and provide compassionate inter-professional health care to diverse individuals, families and communities at the local, national and/or global levels.
- Communicate effectively with patients, families and the inter-professional team.
- Demonstrate emerging leadership qualities in multiple settings.
In collaboration with dedicated faculty members who are passionate about helping others, you’ll leverage state-of-the-art technology to explore all elements of the nursing profession while developing your nursing, communication, interdisciplinary and leadership skills. Your coursework will be complemented by partnerships with local health care organizations, where you’ll gain the hands-on experience you need to deliver safe, personalized and effective care.
Innovative Learning Environment
You’ll have the opportunity to apply your knowledge and enhance your skills using innovative technology in Merrimack’s modern labs and new Nursing Center. Highlights of the new space include high fidelity simulation manikins, six simulation labs, and equipment used in clinical settings, such as IV pumps, hospital beds, oxygen flow meters and a medication administration system. You’ll also work with our individual student electronic health records through ATI (Assessment Technology Incorporated).
Hundreds of Clinical/Lab and Simulation Hours
As part of your nursing major requirements, you will clock more than 750 clinical/lab and simulation hours using cutting-edge technology, including:
- Simulation integration in all nursing courses
- Simulation labs
- Latest simulation manikins
- Current Lab Equipment
- iPads in the classroom
- Individual student electronic health record
- Medication Administration Systems
Nursing Program Affiliations
Hospitals & Medical Centers
- Anna Jacques Hospital, Newburyport, MA
- Beth Israel, Boston and Needham, MA
- Beverly Hospital, Beverly, MA
- Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- Frisbie Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NH
- Lahey Clinic Hospital, Burlington, MA
- Lawrence General Hospital, Lawrence, MA
- McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA
- Melrose Wakefield Hospital, Melrose, MA
- North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA
- Parkland Medical Center Hospital, Derry, NH
- Portsmouth Regional Hospital, Portsmouth, NH
- Stewart Holy Family Hospital, Methuen, MA
- Saint Vincent’s Hospital, Worcester, MA (pending)
- Tewksbury Hospital, Tewksbury, MA
- UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester, MA (pending)
- Winchester Hospital, Winchester, MA
Rehab & Nursing Centers
- Academy Manor, Andover, MA
- Bear Hill Rehab & Nursing Center, Stoneham, MA
- Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospitals of NE, Multiple Locations throughout MA
- Genesis Rehabilitation- Sutton Hill, North Andover, MA
- Hannah Duston Healthcare Center, Haverhill, MA
- Ledgewood Rehab & Skilled Nursing Center, Beverly, MA
- Mary Immaculate Health/Care Services, Lawrence, MA
- Masconomet Healthcare Center, Topsfield, MA
- The Meadows Health Center at Edgewood, North Andover, MA
- Northeast Rehab Hospital, Salem, NH
- Penacook Place, Haverhill, MA
- Port Healthcare Center, Newburyport, MA
- Prescott House, North Andover, MA
- Whittier Rehabilitation Hospital, Bradford, MA
Career Options - Nursing Major Jobs
Merrimack’s nursing program is highly focused on hands-on learning opportunities that give you the experience you need to become a safe, compassionate caregiver and leader in today’s growing market for the nursing profession. Nursing major salaries are very competitive and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says the nursing job outlook is much faster than average.
Nursing graduates can pursue careers in a variety of settings, including hospitals, acute care centers, ambulatory and outpatient clinics, community and public health services, as well as skilled nursing facilities. You may also be eligible to work in specialized fields of nursing, such as neonatal or intensive care, telemetry, labor and delivery, pediatrics, or emergency medicine.
Thinking about graduate studies? This program will prepare you for graduate studies at the master’s and doctoral level to pursue careers such as a nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, nurse educator, or clinical nurse specialist.
Nursing Major Requirements
As a nursing major, you’ll take a combination of mandatory and elective courses. Nursing major classes include:
- First-Year Experience: Using Skillful Communication to Master the Art of Nursing
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II
- Intro to Professional Nursing
- Nursing Fundamentals & Health Assessment
- Mental Health Nursing
(Classes of 2023 & 2024)
- Care Considerations for the Older Adult with Chronic Conditions.*
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Pathopharmacology I and II
- Pediatric Nursing
- Nursing Research & Evidence-Based Practice
- Obstetrical & Newborn Nursing
- Community/Public Health Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing Clinical
(Classes of 2023 & 2024)
- Mental Health Nursing Care
(Classes of 2025 & Beyond)
- Critical Care Nursing
- Role Transition
- Capstone Preceptorship
- Capstone Synthesis
* In this course you will obtain a certificate in dementia training
Merrimack’s nursing program focuses on preparing you to be a highly experienced, well-rounded and compassionate caregiver. Our curriculum has been built to allow you to pursue other passions by obtaining a minor in another complementary field. You have the opportunity to pursue a minor in fields such as Spanish, bioethics, public health, psychology, or other fields of interest.
Courses You’ll Take
Built on our Augustinian Catholic tradition, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program carries out the College’s mission by educating and preparing competent nursing graduates to provide evidence-based, safe, quality nursing care in a diverse and dynamic global health care environment. Graduates will be empowered to serve as collaborative leaders who advance health care for individuals and populations and who are dedicated to lifelong learning and driven by a spirit of inquiry.
Merrimack College has been granted Initial Approval status through the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing for the operation of its Baccalaureate Degree Registered Nurse Program.