A Living Community Celebrating the Creative Arts
The Creative Arts Living Community is a vibrant, artistic community that includes students, faculty and community professionals.
Why Join Us?
Whether you are interested in art history, design, music, theatre, studio arts, or creative writing, you’ll have the space to create, connect and contribute to our creative community. Open to all students interested in the creative arts. You’ll explore your own creativity and participate in a variety of artistic experiences. You’ll join creative groups and engage in classes and events designed to enrich your creativity.
As a part of our creative community, you can choose one or more of the opportunities listed below:
In the Classroom
Incoming Freshmen: Living Learning Community
You may have similar or different majors or minors, but everyone will love the Arts. During your four years at Merrimack, you’ll take one of two courses:
1. VPA 1110 - Introduction to the Visual and Performing Arts. The class will introduce you to a number of concepts, including:
- The history, breadth, and contemporary relevance of the visual, performing and the creative arts
- The interconnectivity of multiple media and artistic movements
- How the visual and performing arts can influence and inform other academic areas of study not normally associated with the fine and applied arts
2. ENG 2150: Introduction to Creative Writing. In this class, you will learn to:
- Observe and experience the world as writers
- Identify and discuss the conventions of the main creative genres (fiction, poetry, memoir)
- Read literature as writers
- Activate your senses and master the foundation of all good writing: the concrete detail
Upperclassmen: Affinity Learning Community
Wish to continue or join us after your freshman year? The most important aspect of the Living Community is having the opportunity to associate with other creative people, share ideas and make work together. The Arts are a vibrant part of Merrimack College and living with other creative people will enrich your daily life and the entire campus community.