Student Health Insurance
Massachusetts law requires that all students enrolled three-quarter time or more at the start of the semester, as defined by Merrimack College, have comprehensive health-insurance coverage.
Domestic Students must either enroll in the Merrimack College Student Health Insurance Plan or request a waiver with proof of comprehensive health insurance coverage through an outside provider. Students who do not complete the online waiver-request form by the deadline will automatically be enrolled in the Merrimack College Student Health Insurance Plan and will be responsible for the charged premium, even if they are covered by another plan.
Students whose programs are entirely online are exempt from this fee.
In order to ensure international students are covered by a plan that provides sufficient and comprehensive coverage which meets or exceeds the Merrimack College Student Health Insurance Plan, international students will be automatically enrolled in the Merrimack College Student Health Insurance Plan.
Students whose programs are entirely online are exempt from Merrimack College Student Health Insurance requirement.
Deadlines and Costs
|Beginning Enrollment Date||Waiver-Request Deadline||Policy|
|Effective Date of Coverage||End Date of Coverage|
|Fall 2022||September 12, 2022||$4258||Aug. 13, 2022||Aug. 12, 2023|
|Spring 2023||January 31, 2023||$2484||Jan. 13, 2023||Aug. 12, 2023|
|Summer 2023||June 5, 2023||$1065||May 13, 2023||Aug. 12, 2023|
How to Enroll in or Waive the Insurance Plan
The Warrior One Stop will email students when the spring 2023 health insurance waiver and enrollment forms are available. At that time, you must enroll in or waive the Merrimack College Student Health Insurance Plan by completing the following:
- Visit gallagherstudent.com/merrimack
- Under the ‘Profile’ section log in with your established credentials.
- New Users– Refer to the email from Gallagher that was sent to your Merrimack email with subject line – ‘Verify Your Gallagher Student Health Account’ for your temporary password. Your temporary password must be typed in; the copy and paste feature does not work. (If you do not have your temporary password you can choose the ‘Forgot your password?’ option)
- Returning Users– Use the email address and password that you provided when you set up your account. (If you have forgotten your password you can choose the ‘Forgot your password?’ option)
- Scroll to the “Plan Summary” section and click the yellow “Waive” or the green “Enroll” button.
- Follow the instructions to complete & submit the form. Save a copy of your confirmation page.
- Within 3-5 business days you should receive an email from Gallagher with the results of the waiver. If denied you will have an opportunity to appeal. The email from Gallagher will have instructions for appealing.
Students that have been enrolled in the Merrimack College Health Insurance Plan will receive their insurance ID card by mail.
Things to Know
Please note that not all plans provide comparable coverage in Massachusetts. Be sure to check with your insurance company before waiving coverage. Short-term coverage (coverage that is not in place for the entire academic year) is not comparable coverage and requires enrollment in the college’s plan.
After completing the waiver request, students will receive confirmation that the request has been submitted. Waiver confirmation does not ensure that the waiver has been approved.
The college’s student health-insurance provider, Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk, of Quincy, Massachusetts, will send to the email address on the online waiver-request form an official decision of whether your request has been approved or denied. The majority of waiver requests will be processed within three business days.
If Gallagher is unable to verify the information provided on your waiver-request form, students and families may be asked to provide additional documentation, or will have their waiver request denied. Students without existing comprehensive health insurance will be required to enroll in the Merrimack College Student Health Insurance Plan.
For frequently asked questions, visit gallagherstudent.com/merrimack and click on the “Frequently Asked Questions” link under the Plan Details section. Students who do not complete the online enrollment form or waiver-request form by the published deadline will automatically be enrolled in the Merrimack Student Health Insurance Plan and be responsible for paying the premium.