Second Tuesday First-Year Advising Meeting
If you are a first-year student, join us for Second Tuesday to meet your primary advisor and get to know your major.
Details for Students
- The meeting is on the second Tuesday of the semester at 4 p.m for 20-40 minutes.
- This is your opportunity to meet your primary advisor early in the semester as a first-year student.
- The meeting will be in a group virtual format via Zoom.
- You will be emailed a Zoom invitation from your major’s department.
Details for Advisors
Participating in Second Tuesday will give you the opportunity to:
- introduce yourself and the major
- set the tone of your advising relationship, including each party’s responsibility
- create a warm and welcoming environment
- create a point of contact - especially helpful for students at increased risk
- make it clear how Merrimack advisors are not high school guidance counselors
- start off the relationship without course scheduling being the focus
- present other related information
- make a personal connection that may help your students sticks with a certain major
While most of your students will meet directly with you the whole time, departments and schools are free to adjust how the event takes place. For instance, one department may choose to spend the first 15 minutes with all new majors in one place with all department members and then break out into groups by advisor. The default will be that students meet as a group only with their specific faculty advisor.
The Academic Success Center will manage the event, including marketing it to faculty and students. The individual schools and departments will coordinate the virtual Zoom meetings for advisors and advisees.