B.S. in Biochemistry, Major
At Merrimack College, our Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry will prepare you to enter directly into the many areas of the chemical industry or to pursue advanced studies in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, medicine, dentistry or veterinary science.
In the biochemistry program, you will:
- Learn fundamental chemical concepts and laboratory skills.
- Explore a variety of ways to solve biological problems on a molecular level.
- Learn to think broadly, creatively and independently, and to communicate your scientific insight both in writing and orally.
- Use cutting-edge tools and instruments available in top biochemistry laboratories around the world.
- Participate in original research on a range of topics, from microwave chemistry to smart molecules.
You’ll have the chance to conduct independent research, with guidance from a faculty mentor, and then present your work at conferences and in scientific journals. Plus, you’ll be able to discuss science outside the classroom by joining the Atoms Family Chemistry Club, the Campus Environmental Sustainability Initiative and the Biology Club.
Internships and employment opportunities are available in local chemical and biotech industries. Many of our majors work part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer.
Upon successful completion of the biochemistry program, you’ll be well-equipped to pursue advanced studies or a career in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental science, forensic science, medicine or dentistry. Possible positions for a biochemistry major include:
- Biomedical scientist
- Chemical engineer
- Clinical researcher
- Environmental scientist
- Biotechnology researcher
- Physician Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner
Courses You’ll Take
B.S. Biochemistry Curriculum