Major in Chemistry
As a chemistry major at Merrimack College, you’ll explore the scientific field that helps us understand how our world works and learn the fundamental theories and laboratory skills you need to excel in today’s fast-paced scientific world.
Undergraduate Open House
Sunday, December 3, 2023
from 10:30 am
to 3:30 pm
Learn more about our schools and programs, tour campus and residence halls, check out our student clubs/organizations and meet members of our community!
Through your coursework in chemistry, biology, math and physics, you’ll have the opportunity to work on research projects as varied as the detection of trace antibiotics in natural water and the development of microwave methods for organic synthesis.
As a chemistry major, you will:
- Learn fundamental chemical concepts and laboratory skills.
- Study the composition, structure and properties of matter and the changes it undergoes.
- Learn to think broadly, creatively and independently within the field, and to communicate your scientific insight both in writing and orally.
- Use cutting-edge tools and instruments available in top chemistry laboratories around the world.
- Engage in original research on topics as varied as microwave chemistry and smart molecules.
You’ll have the chance to conduct independent research, with guidance from a faculty mentor, and then present your work at conferences and in scientific journals. Plus, you’ll be able to discuss science outside the classroom by joining the Atoms Family Chemistry Club, the Campus Environmental Sustainability Initiative and the Biology Club.
A Merrimack chemistry degree will give you a strong foundation for success in a variety of careers and in graduate school. Many of our majors go on to graduate or professional school in chemistry, biochemistry, medicine, pharmacy, veterinary medicine and dentistry, while others enter the workforce, where they are well positioned to compete in today’s job market.
Possible positions for a chemistry major include:
- Analytical chemist
- Chemical engineer
- Professional Programs
- Physicians Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner
- Biotechnology Researcher
- Environmental scientist
- Healthcare scientist
- Forensic scientist
Courses You’ll Take
Chemistry Major Curriculum