The Merrimack College Police Department (MCPD) is available to assist students, faculty and staff who are experiencing stalking and intimate partner violence.

What is Stalking?

Stalking is defined as any behavior or pattern of behavior occurring on more than one occasion
that instills fear in one or more other people and/or threatens their safety, mental or physical

Such behaviors or activities may include, but are not limited to, nonconsensual
communication (face to face, telephone, e-mail, texting, and social media), threatening or
obscene gestures, surveillance, pursuit, following, visiting outside an individual’s classroom or
residence, sending gifts or making threats.

How MCPD Can Help

MCPD officers can assist students, faculty and staff who are experiencing intimate partner violence
and/or stalking in the following ways:

  • Contact Residence Life staff in order to obtain a No Contact Order.
  • Issue a No Trespass Order to a person who is not a member of the Merrimack College
  • Investigate reports of intimate partner violence and work with the District Attorney’s Office to
    pursue criminal charges against individuals that commit acts deemed to be violations of
    Massachusetts General Laws.
  • Assist students, faculty, and staff with obtaining Abuse and Harassment Court Orders.

Abuse and Harassment Court Orders 

Abuse Prevention Order (209A Order)

An abuse prevention order (209A order) is a civil court order and limited to someone you have a specific type of relationship with. You can ask for an abuse prevention order (209A order) from a judge if the person abusing you is:

  • Someone who you are or were married to
  • Someone who you are or were living with
  • A family member related by blood or marriage
  • The parent of your child, even if you were never married
  • Someone who you are or have been in a serious dating or engagement relationship

And the person abusing you is doing at least one of the following:

  • Harmed or attempted to harm you physically
  • Caused you to fear that you’re likely to be physically hurt at any moment, or
  • Forced you to have sex or threatened you into having sex
Harassment Prevention Order (258E Order)

If you’re being abused by someone who isn’t in one of the categories listed above, you may
be eligible to obtain a harassment prevention order. The harassment prevention order
(258E) is a civil court order that protects you against someone who is harassing, stalking or
sexually assaulting you, no matter what your relationship with that person is.

Contact MCPD if you are being abused or harassed and an officer will assist you with the process of applying for an abuse prevention order or harassment order. This may include contacting an on-call judge, accompanying you to the appropriate court, or connecting you with the police department of jurisdiction.

Visit Abuse & Harassment Court Orders