Valuable Hands-On Experience
The Master of Education in Higher Education Fellowship links graduate study with a nine-month field-based professional experience in a post-secondary institution.
Tuition-Free Higher Education Fellowship
Fellows in the Master of Education in Higher Education prepare to become highly effective educational, administrative and professional leaders in colleges or universities and work in a variety of roles supporting the advancement of higher education.
Our highly sought-after, full-tuition fellowships offer you unparalleled professional experiences and the peace of mind that comes with knowing you’ve significantly reduced the cost of your graduate degree. With the guidance of experienced site-based supervisors and program faculty, you’ll have the support you need to excel in your field placement and in your graduate studies.
Important Dates for the 2023-2024 Higher Education Fellowship Program
- February 15, 2023: Final fellowship application deadline. Students must apply (and be accepted to) their graduate program of choice no later than February 15, 2023.
- February 16, 2023: Deadline for initial ranking form submission. Students who are accepted for admission and invited to interview for a fellowship, will be eligible to review and rank their preferred positions. Fellowship positions will be available for viewing in late January. Please note: we do not guarantee that you will be invited to interview for your top selections.
- February 21-23, 2023: First round of interviews will take place. (Remaining fellowships will be available on a rolling basis).
- February 24, 2023 by 11:59 pm: Students and sites must complete and submit their post-interview ranking forms, ranking their preferences for final placement.
- Mid-March, 2023: Match letters will be sent to all students and supervisors.
Please note: Participation in the fellowship placement process is NOT a guarantee of a fellowship.
Questions? All interested students should email graduate admission.
How it Works
If you’re selected for our prestigious full-tuition M.Ed. fellowship, you will:
- Complete a nine-month field-based experience in a partner school, college, or community-based organization
- Serve 25 hours a week at your placement site while taking graduate courses in the summer and on afternoons and evenings throughout the academic year
- Earn your 36-credit M.Ed. in Higher Education in one year – tuition free.
Rooted in social justice, our program deepens your understanding of current educational trends and challenges and prepares you to pursue a leadership role within all segments of higher education. You’ll gain a broad understanding of current trends, leadership challenges and opportunities to advance social justice in higher education.
Our curriculum focuses on learning and development of college students, college access, equity and diversity, and organizational development. Working side-by-side with skilled professionals, you’ll develop leadership skills, organizational skills and your own unique vision for how you can best contribute to the advancement of colleges and universities.
All students take a set of core courses, choose one of two concentrations, perform professional experience and complete a research project as their capstone experience. To further facilitate your success, a wide range of professional development opportunities are provided and a range of resources and support are available to you.
Available Fellowship Positions
The below list of positions is representative of what fellowships are available, but may not be up-to-date. Please view the Higher Education Fellowship Positions document for the most current information and a full description of each position.
Presidential Fellowships provide 100% of your graduate tuition and include a 9-month, unpaid fellowship placement of 25 hours per week.
Provost Fellowships provide 50% of a your graduate tuition and include a 9-month, unpaid fellowship placement of 15 hours per week.
PRESIDENTIAL FELLOWSHIP POSITIONS
- Freshman Admission Graduate Assistant
- Transfer Admission Associate
- Visitor Services Admission Assistant
- The Merrimack Fund Graduate Fellow
- Career Connections Fellow
- Visitor Services and Ambassador Program Admission Associate
- Wellness Education Graduate Fellow
- Hands to Help Program Coordinator Graduate Fellow
- Academic Coach Compass Program
- Academic Support & Advising
- Campus-Wide Tutoring Programs Coordinator & Success Coach
- Career Advisor
- Career Education & Preparation Fellow
- First Year Experience Fellow
- Marketing & Student Outreach Fellow
- Accessibility Services Graduate Office Advisor and Academic Success Coach
- Activate Graduate Office Advisor and Academic Success Coach
- Community Standards Graduate Fellow
- Commuter Student Engagement Graduate Fellow
- Graduate Center Fellow for Student Programming and Academic Support
- Graduate Fellow for Orientation & New Student Programs
- Graduate Resident Director
- Freshman Academic Advisor
- Academic Advising and Program Coordinator for First Year Students
- Academic Advisor and Retention Specialist, Graduate Fellow
- Academic Advising Graduate Fellow
- Winston Center for Advising and Student Support Graduate Fellow
- Student-Athlete Academic Support Graduate Fellow
- International Student Support Graduate Fellow
- Student Involvement Fellow- Fraternity/Sorority Life and Leadership
- Intercultural Initiatives Program Assistant
- Student Involvement Fellow- Programming & Student Organizations
- Student Involvement Graduate Fellow for Student Engagement
PROVOST FELLOWSHIP POSITIONS
- Athletic Operations Graduate Fellow
- Equipment Operations Graduate Fellow
- Graduate Ambassador Fellow
- Graduate Admission Fellow
- Career Advisor Graduate Fellow
- WSESP Career Advisor Graduate Fellow
- Graduate Faculty and Student Support Fellow
- Graduate Fellow for Management
- Graduate Fellow for Accounting and Finance
- Men’s Golf – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Men’s Volleyball – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s Bowling – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s Golf – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s Ice Hockey – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s Rowing – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s Swimming – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s Volleyball – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Men’s XC/Track – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Women’s XC/Track – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
- Field Hockey – Coaching/Operations Graduate Fellow
You’ll find Merrimack graduates making a difference in prestigious jobs such as:
- Coordinator of External Relations, Harvard School of Public Health
- Academic Support Counselor, Framingham State University
- Residential Learning Coordinator, Virginia Tech University
- Resident Director, Norwich University
- Associate Director of Admissions, American University of Antigua
- Coordinator of Career and Mentor Programs, Fitchburg State University
- Associate Alumni Director, Merrimack College
Dean and Alumni Scholarships
Dean and Alumni Scholarships are available to students who are not receiving a fellowship. No additional application is needed.