The Master of Science in Athletic Training prepares students for rewarding careers as athletic trainers.
Merrimack College is currently accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training (CAATE), 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101. The program is currently applying to the CAATE for a change in level of degree and is pending approval.
Prepare for a Meaningful Career in Health Care
Our Master of Science in Athletic Training program prepares students for rewarding careers in health care fields. As the first line of defense against sports-related injury, athletic trainers are there to provide critical support services for patients in need. When you complete our program, you’ll be ready to practice the 5 Domains of Athletic Training:
What is an athletic trainer?
Athletic trainers (ATCs) are healthcare professionals who collaborate with physicians. The services provided by ATCs comprise of prevention, emergency care, clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation of injured and medical conditions.* Athletic training uses the medical model for professional education that includes both didactic and clinical education.
*This definition is approved by the NATA’s nomenclature work group and the NATA Board of Directors, January 2013.
Why Choose Merrimack
Gain the Skills You Need to Succeed
Often the first responders at the scene of an injury, athletic trainers play a vital role in recognizing and evaluating injuries, delivering first aid or emergency care, and developing and implementing rehabilitation programs. Our Master of Science in Athletic Training program will provide you with the knowledge, skills and hands-on clinical education to thrive in a fast-paced healthcare environment.
Meet the Growing Demand for Athletic Trainers
Merrimack’s Master of Science in Athletic Training program prepares candidates to meet the growing demand for athletic trainers in college/universities, secondary schools, clinics and hospitals and community and industrial settings. As a degree candidate, you will combine your passion for healthcare with the rewards of treating injuries that occur to the physically active patient.
Get Hands-on Clinical Experience
Critical to the field of athletic training, this program offers the opportunity to put your education into action through intensive clinical experiences in a diverse pool of settings. And when you complete our program, you will be eligible for national certification (BOC) as an athletic trainer - and ready to begin your career as a healthcare provider.
More About the Program
Prepare for an athletic training career with an exceptional program aligned with the standards and guidelines set forth from the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
- Benefit from Merrimack’s established focus on careers in athletic training while fulfilling the new, master-level degree requirements set out by CAATE
- Build a strong basis of healthcare knowledge and expertise in athletic training through Merrimack’s signature combination of rigorous coursework and clinical fieldwork
- Develop an understanding of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association’s code of ethics
- Learn to effectively communicate with other professionals while providing the highest quality of care as part of a healthcare team
- Meet eligibility requirements for national certification and state licensure, in all states where it’s required, upon graduation
- Gain the tools required to serve diverse populations, across settings where athletic trainers are needed