Master of Education in Teacher Education
The School of Education & Social Policy offers multiple Teacher Education Programs (TEP) that have been approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and the Interstate Certification Compact of the National Association of State Directors of Teachers Education.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts also participates in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement which facilitates educator movement between states.
Students are able to receive reciprocal teaching licenses in more than 45 states. Please refer to the DESE’s website and each state’s requirements for exact terms of reciprocity. Learn more about the Education Fellowship program, which offers a full-tuition fellowship.
Master of Education, with initial licenses in:
- Early Childhood Education (PreK-2)
- Elementary Education (1-6)
- Moderate Disabilities (PreK-8)
- Moderate Disabilities (PreK-8) - add-on license
- English as a Second Language (PreK-6)
- English as a Second Language (PreK-6) - add-on license
Middle School (5-8) and High School (8-12) Education
- Biology (8-12)
- Chemistry (8-12)
- Earth and Space Science (8-12)
- English (5-12)
- General Science (5-8)
- History (5-12)
- Humanities (5-8)
- Math (5-8)
- Math (8-12)
- Math/Science (5-8)
- Physics (8-12)
Master of Education, non licensure in:
- Middle and High School Education: Verification of subject-matter requirements for initial license in the content area.
- Education: K-12 Teacher Education program: Official scores from the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) It is strongly recommended that applicants have passed at least the Communications and Literacy Skills (01) test.
- Education: K-12 Teacher Education program: A copy of current teaching license(s), if applicable. A current teaching license is not required for admission into a licensure graduate program. However, if you do hold a current teaching license, we encourage you to include a copy with your application materials.
Online Competency-Based M.Ed. and Graduate Program for Teachers
Merrimack offers online Teacher Education programs for students who wish to learn at their own pace. Earn your M.Ed. and Initial License, your add-on license, your Master’s Plus and more through our online competency-based programs.